9X13 Sheet Cake A Bit Thin...how Come?

Decorating By acakes215 Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 4:38am by acakes215

acakes215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakes215 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 2:31am
post #1 of 9

AI baked a 9x13 chocolate chip cake but it came out looking very thin. It was less then a 1" thick. I followed the Wilton recommendation of 7 cups of batter for each layer. I actually added 8 cups. Does the batter need to be doubled? I dont understand why it's so thin. I tjought the two layer would give me close to 4" but I'm far from it. Please help!!!

8 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:46am
post #2 of 9

Did it have a big hump and end up that short after you leveled it?  Or was it level and only 1 inch high across the whole cake?

acakes215 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 4:19am
post #3 of 9

Ai did not have a hump. It was leveled coming out of the over. I used the heat distribution pins. It was less then a 1" coming out of the oven. Any idea what's wrong? I used Wilton's recommendation for the amount of batter needed for a 9x13 sheet cake. I actually added an extra cup.

denetteb Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

So it must not have risen hardly at all?  Can you post your recipe?  How did the finished cake look, texture? 

acakes215 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

So it must not have risen hardly at all?  Can you post your recipe?  How did the finished cake look, texture? 

I'm not home but the recipe i used is below. I doubled everything to make two 9x13 sheets.  When the cake cake out it was very firm. 

1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar 5 eggs 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 3/4 teaspoon No Color Almond Extract 3 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

2 cups chocolate chips

acakes215 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:11am
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by remnant3333

How old was the baking powder? If it was old it could be no good since your cake did not rise. Hopefully, someone else here will know why your cake did not rise if it was not the baking powder.

I ended up baking another layer =) so all is well

I used the baking powder several tines this month and the rest of the cakes were okay. Im thinking I may have added too many chocolate chips and it made it too heavy? Im not 100% sure

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:28am
post #7 of 9

I think that you may have needed more batter.  Wilton may have been off on measurements.

denetteb Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 3:56am
post #8 of 9

The chart is 7 cups for a 9 by 13, 7 1/2 for a 12 inch round.  So it matches up with the batter for a 12 inch round using the area of the pan.  Sorry I can't help you more, I was wondering about the leavening also.  Have you made the batter before and did it bake up ok?  I am no good at analyzing the balance of ingredients. Glad you were able to get it done.

acakes215 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 4:38am
post #9 of 9

AYeah, I think wilton is a bit off on the measurements. I never made a chocolate chip cake before. This was the first and I'm thinking last time. I will they to stick with the regular flavors next time. Thanks everybody for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%