Compliment???

Decorating By ashleabrowncake Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 11:39am by iCookiBake

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:05am
post #1 of 10

AHas anyone ever had someone say to them 'I'm not really a cake person, but your (flavour) cake was amazing'?

Is this really a compliment? On face value it is, because they are saying your cake was nice, but if they are 'not a cake person' then I take that as they don't really eat a lot of cake, so do they have much to compare it to?

What do you think?

9 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:06am
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

Has anyone ever had someone say to them 'I'm not really a cake person, but your (flavour) cake was amazing'?

Is this really a compliment?
On face value it is, because they are saying your cake was nice, but if they are 'not a cake person' then I take that as they don't really eat a lot of cake, so do they have much to compare it to?

What do you think?

I'd take it as a compliment. I never really liked cake until I started making IMBC. You've made a convert. Look at it that way. She/he was surprised and pleased enough to tell you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:31am
post #3 of 10

It's a big compliment, you're totally overthinking it!

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:51am
post #4 of 10

It's a huge compliment, :)

This happened to me recently, I took 2 different cakes (Black Forest Gateau and a Cointreau Orange Torte) to a party.

When I arrived the hostess' new man said to me "don't be offended but I don't eat or like cake, so probably won't have any"

Later when we served them, he had a taste of the hostesses serve of the first cake, I think to be polite and said wow... then went and got a plate himself.... Then cut a huge slice of the second cake and ate that also!!!

He made a big point of saying how amazing they were and how he was going to finish off the rest of the left overs!

LOL.

If people have only ever had crap fake cake, real cake often blows their minds!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:55am
post #5 of 10

May I suggest an analogous situation:

When I cook steak at home, I panfry, in just enough oil to coat the skillet. And I turn it frequently, in order to minimize the searing (so it browns slightly, but doesn't char), and cook it to a point, ideally, just before the last trace of pink vanishes. In short, the precise polar opposite of what's referred to as "black-and-blue." I find the taste of almost-raw meat revolting, and I find the taste of scorched meat (including prominent grill marks) equally revolting.

Needless to say, in restaurants, especially expensive ones, I generally order roast beef, rather than steak. And I'm very leery of ordering any kind of roast beef (and especially prime rib), if steak is a specialty of the house, and prime rib, or other roasts, are not, since such establishments frequently ruin roasts by trying to make them taste like steak.

So I'm not a "restaurant steak" person. Yet I've found, in recent years, that a number of restaurants actually can cook a steak in such a way that it tastes good to me. In fact, I can safely say,

"I'm not really a 'restaurant steak' person, but the steak I was served at Cattlemen's (the most famous steakhouse in Oklahoma City), served 'Medium Plus,' was amazing."

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 1:10am
post #6 of 10

I'm not a cake person.  Most of the cakes that I get served at events or parties taste like crap.  Even the stuff friends / people " graciously " sometimes offer to make for those occasions. If asked I always say " it's good ". If it's really good, I tell people how awesome / amazing it was.

This is rare. It's also why I started making cakes in the first place. And I'm not eating chemicals wrapped in sugar.

Take it as a compliment. It's definitely one.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 4:46am
post #7 of 10

Compliment , this is coming from someone who is not a cake person. I am not even a chocolate person.  Give me a cheese platter and I am wayyy happier. 

That being said ,when I do find  cake  appealing, I do always tell the maker. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:36am
post #8 of 10

Definitely a compliment.  I think a lot of people think they are not cake people because all they've ever had are bad cakes.  How could you not be a cake person if you get to eat good cake whenever you acually have cake.  I LOVE cake.  I take a different recipe cake to my knitting group every month.  They know I experiment and don't care.  One of the other ladies always brings a cake from the bakery.  It is always dry and boring and she always asks if she can take a piece of my cake home with her for afternoon tea.  Even my worst experiments leave the bakery cakes for dead.

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 9:50am
post #9 of 10

Athanks everyone, maybe I am over thinking it :)

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 11:39am
post #10 of 10

I would take it as a compliment! they probably have had a lot of bad cake and yours is the first one that could make them change their mind, ya never know!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%