How Far In Advance To Make And Decorate Cake?

Decorating By beee731 Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 3:57am by denetteb

beee731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beee731 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make a wedding cake for a Saturday wedding.  I have another job and was curious how far in advance can I bake the cakes (if I spray them with a simple syrup) and how far in advance can I make the fondant decorations?

Thanks!!!

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:57am
post #2 of 3

You can bake the cakes weeks ahead of time. Wrap the cake layers(after letting cool) in saran wrap, then  heavy foil. They will be fine. You can make the icing, freeze that. You can make the fondant decos(don,t know what they are) and put in tupperware or something like that. I have made them and just put in fridge nite before and then let them come to room temp. few minutes , then put on top and sides of cake. They did great. I always prepare ahead of time and then my decorating day goes great. hth

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:57am
post #3 of 3

You can make the cake weeks ahead and freeze it, no syrup needed.  You could also do your buttercream ahead of time and get that out of the way.  I don't work with fondant so not sure about that but some things like bows or figures need to dry so you should do them ahead. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%