Whipped Cream As Filling Underneath Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By emmc Updated 18 Apr 2013 , 6:29am by tarttokig

emmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmc Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:16am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone, I need some advice here...

I have been asked to do a black forest cake covered in fondant. I understand that whipped cream underneath fondant is a disaster, but I was wondering if it is OK to use it as a FILLING? With the cherries of course. And of course, I understand that this will have to be refrigerated. I will then crumbcoat and frost it with chocolate ganache. Also maybe create a dam with chocolate ganache when I do the filling. Do you think this will work?

I have also never made a cake using whipped cream, so I was wondering how far in advance can I make this? 2 days? Refrigerated of course. Will the whipped cream go bad?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 reply
tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 6:29am
post #2 of 2

AI think it's a good idea to create like a wall with chocolate ganache. Whipped cream and ganache have such different textures that it's very difficult to frost directly onto the cream. It won't really stick. I often make cakes with mousse fillings and always fill them two days in advance so that will be fine. And as you said, it needs to be refrigerated. And also, whipped cream is a lot softer than buttercream, so you need to be a little careful as not to squeeze to filling out! Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%