I Need To Make These And Have Questions

Baking By MoniCakes7818 Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 12:08am by Mickeebabe

MoniCakes7818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniCakes7818 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all, 

so i have to make these sugar cookies for a friend and to be honest i've never used royal icing. I did make a batch and did some animal faces so let them dry so that later i can put them on a fresh flooded cookie. It looked great but she wants 50 cookies! so that's going to take me a super long time. I was wondering if i could use fondant to ice them? would it stay soft or would it harden up? and if I do use fondant do i attach it with butter cream or with edible glue? Any input on this helps. 

Thanks so much!!!!

-Monica

4 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

AI use marshmallow fondant to ice cookies all the time. You can use the same round cookie cutter for the base, then thin layers of fondant to create the animals. I brush the cookie with a thin layer of watered down corn syrup before putting the fondant on. You can also add detail to the fondant with royal icing or a food color marker.

My fondant firms up but never gets hard or crunchy like royal icing. Everyone that tries them is pleasantly surprised with the taste and texture. Personally, I prefer that to the hard icing, and my clients have expressed the same preference.

MoniCakes7818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniCakes7818 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

I use marshmallow fondant to ice cookies all the time. You can use the same round cookie cutter for the base, then thin layers of fondant to create the animals. I brush the cookie with a thin layer of watered down corn syrup before putting the fondant on. You can also add detail to the fondant with royal icing or a food color marker.

My fondant firms up but never gets hard or crunchy like royal icing. Everyone that tries them is pleasantly surprised with the taste and texture. Personally, I prefer that to the hard icing, and my clients have expressed the same preference.

Thanks so much FrostedMoon. you just made my life easier!!! I will definitely be using these tips. 

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

AGlad I could be helpful!

When you cut out the circles of fondant, let them dry a bit before picking them up. That way they will hold their shape better while you are placing them on the cookie.

Good luck!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 12:08am
post #5 of 5

It looks like the person who made these cookies, impala, did decorate these with fondant.   Good luck!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%