Plywood Base For A Big Cake

Decorating By katie11 Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 9:38pm by Spooky_789

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 2

A[VIDEO][/VIDEO]Hello! I am making a cross cake that is 18" across and 24" long. I am thinking that if I put it caddy corner I can use a 22" square base made of plywood. The cake will be be two layers, both torted and filled. How thick should the plywood be? What should I cover it with? If I add a third Torted and filled layer, should I put a board between layers ?

Thanks a million!

Katie

1 reply
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 2

Have you thought about using a sheet of 1/2" thick foam core board?  They sell them at craft stores, in 20" x 30" sizes.  That would be large enough and thick enough to handle the cake you're making.  If you have a coupon, you can get the board for less than $5.

As far as what to cover it with, I will use whatever pretty paper or plastic I have on hand, but that's assuming the cake itself is on its own cake board (so that it isn't touching paper that isn't necessarily food-safe).

But if you do decide to go with plywood, although I'd recommend using MDF instead, you can cover it with contact paper that you can buy at a local hardware store.  Again, I recommend the cake itself be placed on its own cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%