Fondant Nightmares

Decorating By 1956Clare Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 6:44am by kazita

1956Clare Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:23am
post #1 of 4

I am making more and more fondant cakes, but am so struggeling with fondant. How do you get the fondant to be so totally perfectly straight on the top and sides of the cake... sharp edges. I do use a cake slider/smoother, but cannot get those perfect edges. I also have found that my fondant stretches... causing little stretch marks on the corners even though it is 3/4mm thick! I do cool my cakes, when buttericed... before placing the fondant over the cake.. please help me cause I am tearing my hair out. 

3 replies
kvand Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 5:40am
post #2 of 4

Fondant is definitely something that takes some practice. Have you tried using The Mat?  It is a bit frustrating to start with but after a few ties (once its well seasoned) it makes it much easier!  Here are a few tips you may find helpful...

The tearing bit sounds like it could be from either uneven thicknesses or the fondant being too dry.  This is something that the mat helps with but using a little less PS or CS can help with... also working quickly in a room that is not too hot or dry is good.

Are you using MMF or good quality purchased fondant?  I used to use MMF until I tried Fondx and Satin Ice.  They are so much easier to work with and you can roll them so much thinner than the MMF.  With MMF if you have even the tiniest bit of PS that didn't dissolve into the MM or the MM were not fully melted this can cause huge stress. (atleast for me it did)

as far as sharp edges goes placing the fondant on a chilled cake is fantastic but have you tried using two smoothers held ad right angles to each other and gently but firmly pressed the edges into the sharp shape you want?  I do this and I find it makes a huge difference! I have not tried the edge smoothers you can buy but that's mostly because I am happy with a smoother in each hand. 

I hope this is helpful! practice, practice, practice!

kazita Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 6:15am
post #3 of 4

AHere's a video showing how to use the mat. Sweet wise still carries the original mat without the markings from what I've read you want the ones with the markings it makes things way easier.

kazita Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 6:42am
post #4 of 4

AHere's a video on how to make your buttercream nice with sharp edges. You need to start out with a nice cake before putting on your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%