Make Chocolate Flavoured Fondant Which Is Not Brown!?

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 16 Apr 2013 , 5:38pm by kazita

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

AHi all, I'm doing a suitcase cake in a few weeks and have a chocolate mud cake which I want to cover in chocolate fondant (wedding cake and the bride loved the flavour combo). Here's the tricky part...I have a very specific suitcase to match and the only way I could get the correct colour over the weekend was by colouring white fondant with a gel colouring. It looked fab but the fondant was of course not chocolate flavoured! The chocolate fondants available all seem to be way too dark brown (I want a khaki colour).

So... Now I a a little stuck and need help! I have seen chocolate flavour oils such as this one about: http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2396 Has anyone used them for flavouring fondant and know if they work? Unfortunately there isn't the budget to use white modelling chocolate as a covering (it's a big cake!)

If all else fails, I will just have to go back to the bride and apologise saying that I can't do the chocolate fondant in that design but would clearly prefer not to...or do a layer of chocolate and then a very thin layer of khaki for the effect (less than optimal)...feeling somewhat silly for not spotting a potential problem here when she first gave me the photograph but there you go...live and learn! Many thanks in advance! Xx

4 replies
stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

Can you do a double layer of fondant? Do your layer of chocolate and then a thinner layer over that of the khaki colored? It might mute the chocolate alittle but I would think the chocolate flavor would still come through. Just a thought.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

AHi stefkovic, that's by backup plan at the moment but was hoping that someone may have tried the whole flavouring fondant thing and could share some wisdom :-) on the plus side, it would mean I don't have to mix quite as much khaki colour! Win!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 5

I would suggest you try making a little in advance and seeing if you like how it turns out.  I purchase flavor oils and emulsions from LorAnn's Oils and they work great but if you add to much it can be a problem with taste.  I have also added coffee syrups to the fondant when I am making my own.

HTH

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

AThis recipe calls for 6 oz. White chocolate chips that's one bag of chocolate chips hopefully that's affordable. Look further down after the directions it says variations thats where it tells you to add the chocolate in.

cakecentral.com/a/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%