Oklahoma Home Bakers Bill

Decorating By justme50 Updated 21 Nov 2013 , 5:59pm by howsweet

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 28

AWas signed into law by the Governor today! It's taken years, but come November, it will finally be legal to bake at home in Oklahoma!!

27 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 28

AReally!!!! More info please

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 28

There's a huge thread on this on the Oklahoma Sugar Show site, and Kerry is not at all pleased by this.  She doesn't believe in home bakers :-)

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:29am
post #4 of 28

Yes, I read her comments made to a local tv station. Really, was quite insulting and I've lost a bit of respect for her.

The law is simple and straight forward. No inspections or licenses needed. Have to have income of under 20k per year and no fresh fruit or meat and that's about it.

bikemom3 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:42am
post #5 of 28

AI read all the comments as well..not impressed

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:52am
post #6 of 28

Just took a look at her facebook page- wow, she's really livid about the tv interview that was done at her workshop. I'll just never understand why professional bakers who are talented beyond most of our dreams are so threatened by home bakers.

peilinl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peilinl Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 9:04am
post #7 of 28

I can only wish for the same to be done where I am but I know it is not going to happen.

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 11:51am
post #8 of 28

That's exactly what I said about Oklahoma, but some hard working, dedicated people never gave up. I was so sure it would never happen I built a licensed bakery on my property a few years ago.

bikemom3 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 11:59am
post #9 of 28

What's funny is that she and other "licensed bakers" are willing to take the $$$ of us home bakers who attend these workshops. icon_wink.gif I'm so thankful for those hard working dedicated people who never gave up. icon_biggrin.gif

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:15pm
post #10 of 28

That's just what I was thinking! I am licensed, have a separate building we renovated a few years ago so really, this bill doesn't affect me as far as being able to bake. But it does mean I don't have to meet the ridiculous regulations anymore or pay fees to the state any more! Woohoo! This notion that somehow cakes baked at home are unsafe is ludicrous. You know how many times I get "inspected" each year? ONCE- when it's time to renew the license. And they call before they come out. lol For all they know I have mice doing a hula dance on the counters while I'm baking. Being licensed means nothing as far as the health and safety of the public.

She even complains  because licensed bakeries were not "informed" that this bill was pending. WTH??? Who do they think they are that the legislature of Oklahoma is supposed to personally notify them??? Somebody thinks they're just a little more important than they really are. ;) I found out about the bill because I pay attention to what is going on in my state government. I watched live feeds of the senate and house. I read the news. No one "informed" me either. I informed myself.

Seriously done with professional tv cake stars.

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 28

I attended Ms. Vincent's show.  I saw the TV crews take video at just about each station for long periods of time.  I can understand to a point where Kerry would be disappointed that the show wasn't featured, considering she did an exceptional job bringing it together, as well as the demonstrators who shared their time and talent.  No doubt a lot of time and money was spent so that we could learn.  However, I do not feel it is appropriate to throw such harsh words and insults as those who attended and supported her show.  (In fact, I would say that over 75% of those who attended were most likely home bakers.) Her disappointment could have been handled in a different way, maybe even directed to those responsible, namely the TV station who was obviously trying to get a story.  It was the TV station who decided to spin the story on the pending bill.  If she didn't want it to be discussed, she could have said something at the time of the interview instead of making accusations to the affect that home bakers have dirty homes with kitty cats walking over their counters. 

I still look up to and respect her for her talent and what she has done in the cake world, but she and those who are supporting and cooperating with her slander have disappointed and confused me.  

Entering a piece in the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show has always been a dream of mine until I read one of the posts which stated, and I quote, "I am looking forward to competing in the September show and am sickened that as a virtual beginner, I have to go up against long-time professionals just because I have a store front while these stay at-home with nothing to do but bake cakes people can win all the awards and make a ton of money while I struggle to pay bills and bust my butt to put out cakes on time. I couldn't even work on my last show cake until 2:30 that morning because of client cakes that took precedence. Needless to say, the cake I put on the table (also after a series of unfortunate events in the parking lot at the show) looked like first grader did it, not at all what I had planned, but all things are a learning experience and you have had one this time. To my liking, I would ban all of them from the show, as you so nicely put it, "Nail 'em!" AND as you put it, it's your show, your call!"

So sad.

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 28

stay at-home with nothing to do but bake cakes people .....

So this is what the people who take home bakers hard earned money think of them? Personally, they won't get a dime of my money in the future.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 28

Bashing on the OK show or Ms. Vincent will not be allowed here.  If opinions can be stated without the personal attacks then I will allow this thread to continue.

Also, no posting people's comments that are not here to defend themselves.  Those have been deleted.

justme50 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 28

I'm sure there are a lot of established bakeries furious over the bill passing, they lobbied against this for years because they're afraid of the competition. Finally the little guy wins one! Congrats to those who worked so hard to get this done!!

nadushka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadushka Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 3:38am
post #15 of 28

can somebody please just clarify this to me, or direct me to a link where I can read more? I am about to rent a commercial kitchen so that I could legaly bake and sell my cakes. I have the other parts covered, the insurance, the tax ID and so on, just needed a health department inspected kitchen. Does this mean I can just start baking and selling out of my own home kitchen without them inspecting it? sorry for stupid question, i just want to make sure I am reading it right. I did sign the petition months ago for the cottage food law to pass, so does this means we actually got it passed?

bikemom3 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 28

AI'm looking for the same information. My understanding is that it does not take affect until November 1st, I would appreciate more info as well

justme50 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 28

AIt's pretty simple and straightforward. No inspections, no fees or licenses. The only limit is a 20k gross income limit. It goes into effect Nov 1. If you go to the Oklahoma legislature website and search hb 1094, you can read the entire bill.

justme50 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 28

Here's a link to the final law that was passed:

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/hB/HB1094%20ENR.PDF

nadushka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadushka Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:48pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50 

Here's a link to the final law that was passed:

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14%20ENR/hB/HB1094%20ENR.PDF

Got it, Thank you!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 7:30pm
post #20 of 28

Wow...CC is certainly sensitive regarding Kerry Vincent...who I believe has done a great deal for Oklahoma and the sugar art industry in general!  But I also feel opinions about HER opinions are fair discussion...especially from those of us who live in this state and who take offense at her remarks.  She should feel proud that Oklahoma took this step!  

This bill will help people like me who don't do enough cakes in a year to justify the expense of jumping through all the legalities it would take for me to recoup the expenses for the small amount of work I do. 

I bake and decorate cakes for friends and family and the occasional 'friend of a friend'.  I love the creativity and the learning process.  I spend a great deal of money on supplies and have taken internet lessons (Craftsy anyone?), and I enjoy presenting a professional product.  I don't want to make a living at it...I  just want to be able to pay for my hobby and maybe make a little profit (which will probably go back to supplies).   This bill addresses that and Cake Divas (and I use that term as a complement) like Kerry Vincent who command top dollar (and they should) for their incredible creations are in no way threatened by this bill!  

I am not planning on charging a discount price for my work to undercut a bakery...nor can I legally advertise since this law has determined those who abide by it are NOT a business!  We will have to have a label on our boxes that state the cake or baked good inside is not from a licensed kitchen, and we must have a description of the product.   

I will however be able to provide a service to those who like my cakes and choose me to produce a quality product--and I will be able to be compensated for my efforts-- up to a point.   $20K a year is not much...like $160 a month...no one's getting rich!  But I do think this bill paves the way for many hobbyists who may not have ever thought they'd be able to become a full-time business.  I know  the cake supply stores will benefit.  And decorator stars like Kerry Vincent will learn that there will be an ever growing pool of talent that will most likely enter her shows and pay for her expertise.  Win-win.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 7:41pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50 

For all they know I have mice doing a hula dance on the counters while I'm baking. Being licensed means nothing as far as the health and safety of the public.

LOL!!  I know...I worked at a small bakery  and the health department came by once.  Our place was good --we kept it spotless--but there was a caterer next door whose place was gross...we shared a wall and had to constantly keep the exterminator on call to keep the bugs from his place from coming over to ours.  He was never fined or warned. 

justme50 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:55pm
post #22 of 28

AI did have to laugh when I read comments about local health departments being furious over this law. Not in my county! I have an addition built on that meets state requirements- for the most part. My inspector gave me a pass on having a bathroom and a few other things- He complained to me how ridiculous it was that it was actually against the law to sell cakes from home.

But it's the law now. :) Those that don't like it should've spoken up and got involved.

NickyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickyM Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 2:26am
post #23 of 28

Yeah, I'm so excited about this.  It's nice to hear I have the freedom to bake and sell my own cakes at home.  My house is super clean and I wouldn't ever try to endanger anyones health.  I have a natural talent for decorating cakes and why not make a little money from it from home.  We to go Legislature!

soonermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soonermom Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 11:52pm
post #24 of 28

AHello I have a question and it may be a stupid one to most but here goes... I have called the health department and confirmed I am free to start bakeing and selling my cakes from home with no license requirements. My question is what about sales taxes. Do I need to register as a business? I'm so excited, I just want to make sure I am following all the laws.... Lastly someone mentioned insurance as a protection to me in case someone try's to say my Cakes caused them to get sick...is this something I need to consider... Thanks in advance to any and all who respond....

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 5:05pm
post #25 of 28

Yes we do need to register.  Insurance is definitely an option to look into.  :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 5:45pm
post #26 of 28

A

Original message sent by justme50

Just took a look at her facebook page- wow, she's really livid about the tv interview that was done at her workshop. I'll just never understand why professional bakers who are talented beyond most of our dreams are so threatened by home bakers.

Because home bakers generally as group under charge. The law opens the door to people who may be incredibly talented as decorators, but completely clueless in business. Why does that matter? Because when home bakers charge less than what a person whose sole source of income in cakes has to charge, they can't compete. It's very sad to see homemakers playing at business and in the process tearing down the businesses of mom and pop cakeries.

I am a home baker in Texas and I often get ultimatums from customers. As in, I'd rather have you make my cake, but only if you can do it for half your quote because I have someone who'll do it for that.

I don't have to know who it is to know it's a home baker whose business is subsidized by another income. How do I know? Because the sole source of income for my household is my cake business and I'm just making it and I don't even have a house payment.

So when you all start making cakes, I hope you take the time to find out what you should be charging. Unfortunately, some don't even know how to do that. I've seen posts here on Cc with people sort of bragging that they don't under charge when they weren't even close. (not talking about the person above who said she wasn't going to undercharge) .

A couple of tips, these should be obvious to anyone in the cake business, but unfortunately are not always : 1) you can't call a bakery, get their base price per serving and think you know what they charge for cake. My base price is $5, but I never do a cake for less than $6.35.

2) you can't rely on these cake costing calculators to a accurately price a cake

3) you can't as usually ask other home bakers what to charge because its typical for them to undercharge. Yes, there's a supply and demand issue at work there, but in this case it's a situation of unfair competition. No one should be supporting unfair competition. The federal Trade laws and system of free trade is based on the assumption that people will price according to their own best interests. Hard as it is to wrap your brain around, lots of home bakers are not doing that.

5) speaking of hard to wrap... Most homemakers can't afford their own cakes, so they have trouble charging appropriately. High end custom cakes are a luxury item.

howsweet Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 5:48pm
post #27 of 28

AThat should have read home bakers, not homemakers... Typing on my phone.

And here's another example of people who really have comparatively little experience in a business thinking they know more than seasoned veterans.

howsweet Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 5:58pm
post #28 of 28

A

Original message sent by bikemom3

What's funny is that she and other "licensed bakers" are willing to take the $$$ of us home bakers who attend these workshops. icon_wink.gif  I'm so thankful for those hard working dedicated people who never gave up. icon_biggrin.gif

it's really not all that funny if you ask me. A big reason so many bakers teach is because liberal cottage food laws make it harder to support themselves with just selling cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%