Dairy Free

Decorating By car1979 Updated 16 Apr 2013 , 1:43am by Baking Queen

car1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
car1979 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 4

AHi I have an order for dairy free tractor shaped cake can I use my normal recipe and replace butter and milk with soya milk or water and a dairy free butter ?

3 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

Hmm. Box mixes, at least of the retail grocery variety, seem to be dairy-free, these days. They generally call for water, cooking oil, and eggs, but no milk or butter.

When I did the Leland Awards cake last year, I provided a dairy-free cupcake for a fellow docent with a severe dairy allergy (yes, she's cute, but she's also married, as well as being young enough to be my daughter); all I had to do was replace the maple-cinnamon BC I made for the main cake with a maple-cinnamon glaze.

Earlier, on the "wood type cookies" project, I made a dairy-free batch, substituting Earth Balance dairy-free margarine for my usual 50/50 mix of butter and conventional margarine.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 4

AI suggest doing a test run with the substituted ingredients to make sure the recipe works the same way. You will also need to ensure all your other ingredients have not been contaminated with dairy at the manufacturing site (e.g. shared equipment), if the manufacturer makes other products containing dairy it's best to contact them to see if you are comfortable with their cleaning processes. Avoid whey and casein as well.

All non-porous surfaces and equipment should be thoroughly sanitized, and if a porous surface has touched dairy it should be considered permanently contaminated.

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 1:43am
post #4 of 4

AI also mu

Original message sent by jason_kraft

I suggest doing a test run with the substituted ingredients to make sure the recipe works the same way. You will also need to ensure all your other ingredients have not been contaminated with dairy at the manufacturing site (e.g. shared equipment), if the manufacturer makes other products containing dairy it's best to contact them to see if you are comfortable with their cleaning processes. Avoid whey and casein as well.

All non-porous surfaces and equipment should be thoroughly sanitized, and if a porous surface has touched dairy it should be considered permanently contaminated.

I also have a dairy allergy and bake quite well without it:) you must make sure that you follow your recipe EXACTLY when substituting the butter (earth balance brand works great) and I usually use rice milk for a dairy alternative. There are many other milk alternatives too like soya yes and coconut milk which gives your baked goods a yummy flavor. These are only suggestions as I would DEFINATELY do a test run beforehand! Good luck:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%