Calibrating Oven

Baking By Fancy Francy Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 3:02am by Fancy Francy

Fancy Francy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancy Francy Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 3

Have any of you had trouble with cookies or cakes burning because your oven's temp is calibrated incorrectly?  I burnt a beautiful italian almond bundt cake yesterday, only the bottom burnt yet the inside did not.  I heard that there is a sugar melting test used to calibrate the temp and am trying it now.  I am so frustrated!  I've been baking for many years and ever since I moved into my new house, everything burns.  I'm giving up!

Hope one of you fantastic bakers can help!  Thanks!

Fancyfrancy

2 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 3

ADon't give up! Get an oven thermometer. That's really the only way to know what temp your oven is truly running at.

Fancy Francy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancy Francy Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 3:02am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, but an oven thermometer is not the way to go, according to the oven manual. They say that those are off by 20 degrees! I'll be back to square 1. I tried a little trick that I read about on the internet that told to put sugar on a piece of foil, put the oven on 350 degrees and see if it melts. It should not, but only turn brown around the edges. Mine melted. so I adjusted it 20 degrees, according to the manual, and wa la! It worked! I baked all day and everything came out lovely.

Thanks for the reply. Good things to know.

FancyFrancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%