Fancy Francy Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #1 of

Have any of you had trouble with cookies or cakes burning because your oven's temp is calibrated incorrectly?  I burnt a beautiful italian almond bundt cake yesterday, only the bottom burnt yet the inside did not.  I heard that there is a sugar melting test used to calibrate the temp and am trying it now.  I am so frustrated!  I've been baking for many years and ever since I moved into my new house, everything burns.  I'm giving up!

Hope one of you fantastic bakers can help!  Thanks!

Fancyfrancy

2 replies
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of

ADon't give up! Get an oven thermometer. That's really the only way to know what temp your oven is truly running at.

Fancy Francy Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 3:02am
post #3 of

Thanks, but an oven thermometer is not the way to go, according to the oven manual. They say that those are off by 20 degrees! I'll be back to square 1. I tried a little trick that I read about on the internet that told to put sugar on a piece of foil, put the oven on 350 degrees and see if it melts. It should not, but only turn brown around the edges. Mine melted. so I adjusted it 20 degrees, according to the manual, and wa la! It worked! I baked all day and everything came out lovely.

Thanks for the reply. Good things to know.

FancyFrancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%