Chevron Cutters!!!

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 24 Dec 2013 , 4:33pm by bonniekaye

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 21

I'm so excited about these cutters.    I bought one before I found the goup of 5.  So I ordered it also.   Makes life so much easier.. for me.  Thought I'd share with you.   They are on Etsy.

20 replies
JessicaLee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaLee89 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 21

Thank you for posting! I am only showing a set of 3 on Etsy. Do you have a link?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 21

thanks for sharing

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 21

Great find! Thanks Deb! 

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks.  Made the purchase.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show 

Thanks.  Made the purchase.

Me too! I bet there will be a wait, lol.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Me too! I bet there will be a wait, lol.

They're around probably going to what hit them.  Look out Etsy shop.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 21

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119712698/chevron-set-1-5-closed-end-cutters

It says closed end...that means it won't make a continuous pattern, right?

Someone on FB sells one that makes a continuous chevron, but her stuff is so in demand, and very hard to get...
She posts when they're going in her shop and within minutes...gone.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 21

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119712698/chevron-set-1-5-closed-end-cutters

They are closed ended.    Due to the stretching...I am actually going to cut them in half next time.   It's very hard to place them, while holding them.  But I was working with a butter cream cake.   I think it would probably be easier on a fondant cake to maneuver around. 

I thought I would like the "endless" one that I saw on Etsy, but I do not want to roll that zig zag piece of fondant. 

This is the link for the "endless" if anyone is interested.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119839191/seamless-chevron-cutter-open-ended

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 21

I just tried some and found them to be worthless as they don't cut an even edge. If I wanted to spend four hours cutting the fraying edges off these I'd could do it by hand. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevron-Set-Open-Ended-Cookie-Cutter-MADE-TO-ORDER-Fondant-Cutter-for-Cake-/261334896358?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

ddaigle Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:00am
post #12 of 21

AThere's a special technique you have to do for a successful cut.....of course that's not included with cutters...a friend told me what she does. ....mine turn out perfect.

ddaigle Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:01am
post #13 of 21

ABut I do like the idea of an open end...

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 2:20am
post #14 of 21

All cutters are not created equal   -  you need to find a supplier that understands that and will put in that little bit extra to ensure a top product.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 3:41am
post #15 of 21

AI can't imagine the cutters don't work, unless you have a defective product.

cakeart105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 21

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

There's a special technique you have to do for a successful cut.....of course that's not included with cutters...a friend told me what she does. ....mine turn out perfect.

Other than non 3d printer cutters? I certainly know how to use normal cutters.

Original message sent by AZCouture

I can't imagine the cutters don't work, unless you have a defective product.

I'm not making it up. I wound up using them to place an outline on the rolled out fondant/tylose and cutting with an exacto knife. Once I got the rhythm down, it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

These cutters seemed very sharp, so I was mistakenly sure they were going to work and didn't try them until I was doing the cake. All I can say is beware of cutters made in a 3d printer

ddaigle Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 2:14pm
post #18 of 21

I do wish those green ones from Etsy had a sharper cut for sure.   I really press down and do a little jiggle with the cutter to "hope" that it is cutting.    Then I pick up the cutter...hopefully with the fondant still intact...look at the back side and wipe all around the edges....that is where there are always little frayed pieces of fondant due to the non sharpness of the cutter.

That cutter...in a metal form would be sooooo much better.   But with my challenging math skills in cutting the angles out by hand...I will put up with the slight aggravation.

AZCouture Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:18pm
post #19 of 21

AA 3D printer, is that was those are done with? Makes sense now. You know, I use a cutter sometimes, but honestly the best results I've had is printing a template from Google, on cardstock (thick paper a must as far as I'm concerned). Take a box cutter blade, cause they're long and easy to hold, and make downward slices thru the fondant or gp. You can't screw it up, they're perfect every time. plus, since you can size it to what you need, you're not bound to what size a cutter provides.

Really, very precise method with box cutter blades. I let the cut pieces set up a bit, after I check to make sure they're all straight and lined up after.cutting.

AZCouture Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:19pm
post #20 of 21

AI believe ya howsweet

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 4:33pm
post #21 of 21

AIf you use an electronic cutter Ike the Silhouette you can easily cut endless designs. THere is a tutoriall here. www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%