Mini Cakes

Decorating By HeatherHutton Updated 21 Nov 2013 , 4:33pm by HeatherHutton

HeatherHutton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherHutton Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:08am
post #1 of 13

Hello Everyone,

My name is Heather  I am from Hamilton, Ontario.  I am planning on making 3" round mini cakes for my sister's wedding in June. I need to make between 115-130.  How far in advance would you ice and cover mini cakes with fondant . Would you ice and freeze them a couple of weeks before?  I am stuck and crazy any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather

12 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:14am
post #2 of 13

Hi Heather!  I use the Magic LIne 3" x 2" high pans for mini cakes, is that what you are using?  Last week I leveled a few, split them and filled them, then wrapped them in plastic wrap and froze.  Iced a few days later with a bittersweet chocolate buttercream.  Still moist and lovely with no ill effects.

I can tell you though, that a 3" individual cake is a very large serving for one person - is that the intent at the wedding?  It is really more of a 2 person cake, and those are still very generous servings.  A smaller cake may be more appropriate, but that may be harder to cover with fondant (not sure because I don't do fondant).

Hope this helps.

Liz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:21am
post #3 of 13

You should really invest in the mini cake pans by Squire's. When the little cakes have been baked individually, the crust they all have on their sides help keep it a little sturdier and keeps crumbs out of your icing-versus cutting them from sheets.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 1:34am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

You should really invest in the mini cake pans by Squire's. When the little cakes have been baked individually, the crust they all have on their sides help keep it a little sturdier and keeps crumbs out of your icing-versus cutting them from sheets.

EXCELLENT advice, AZCouture!  Recently I tried cutting down a chocolate 11x15x2 sheet to make 2 smaller, 4" high tiers.  It was a nightmare.  Gotta love those "crusts". 

Good luck, HeatherHutton, and welcome to the forum!  There is a wealth of information at CakeCentral, but it would be helpful if you could provide more information about your skill level. Do you have any photos of your cakes or a website? Are you a beginning, intermediate, or advanced cake decorator?  Have you attempted a project similar to this?   Making 115 entails a lot of logistics and planning.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 5:20am
post #5 of 13

I have frozen completely decorated cakes with no ill effects, whatsoever. I personally would make about 6 -10 or so every few days, when I felt like it, lol. Bake, fill, ice, cover with fondant, put them in a box, and wrap the box with saran wrap, several times, and freeze. Choose boxes that they fit in without too much extra space, so you can get more in your freezer(s) without too much wasted space. Make all decorations in advance, 10-20 at a time, assembly line style, If the wedding is Saturday, take the boxes out of the freezer on Thursday night, LEAVE THE CAKES IN THE WRAPPED BOX, and let thaw overnight. Take them out and decorate on Friday.

Plastic skids (like the bread guy uses) are really great for transporting them, since you can stack them, and they lock together! You may be able to borrow some from somewhere, if you put down a deposit.

HeatherHutton Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 12:00am
post #6 of 13

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions sorry haven't posted anything in awhile was busy with this cake I am now finished and what a job. So I had to make 120 mini cakes and 1 6" topper.  Everything was good until the day before the wedding took me from 5am - 2am morning of the wedding to fondant and decorate them all.  But it was worth it everyone was very pleased with them.  Here is a picture of the ones on the stand the rest are in a box.  Caters didn't want all of them on the table.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 3:42am
post #7 of 13

So, you didn't make ahead and freeze? You did them all in the last 22 hours before the wedding? I would die!! (My husband would kill me!!)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 13

Outstanding mini-cakes!  Thanks so much for sharing the results!

HeatherHutton Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you! They were pretty labor intensive.

HeatherHutton Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 13

Annabakescakes I did freeze and ice them on the Monday, Tuesday, Wed before the wedding then on Friday I thawed them and covered them in fondant. But it was a lot of work for one person I wished I had someone to help me.

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 13

A

Original message sent by HeatherHutton

Annabakescakes I did freeze and ice them on the Monday, Tuesday, Wed before the wedding then on Friday I thawed them and covered them in fondant. But it was a lot of work for one person I wished I had someone to help me.

Oh, I bet you did want help! I wish I was closer, I would've felt sorry enough to go help!

rodgera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rodgera Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 13

Hi Heather.  Great job on the mini cakes.

I'm Anne Marie and I live in London, Ontario.  I am curious about where you buy your baking supplies, tools etc.  I've ordered molds from Too Nice To Slice in Kitchener and Satin Ice at Cakes and Scoops in St. Thomas.  icon_smile.gif

HeatherHutton Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 13

Sorry for the late response. Thanks Anne Marie, I just get my supplies from Michaels, Bulk Barn and Golda's in Mississauga.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%