Anybody Know Anything About Cameras?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 9:10pm by Crazy-Gray

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 9

I need one for my cakes, my iphone is pretty hit or miss, at times ;-) I have a budget of about $130, before shipping and tax. About $145 tops!

Do you know if this is any good? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fujifilm-16-MP-FUJIFILM-S4250/20512788

There is an open box one at my Walmart, for $135.

There is a Nikon L310 14MP Digital Camera with 21x Optical Zoom for $120, as well.

Any suggestions?

8 replies
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

I have been happy with my Canon. It wasn't originally bought for cake pics, but it does OK. I think BF paid about $150 for it like 4 years ago. It's time for a replacement soon, though, I think. There is something wonky with the camera reading the SD card after I upload pictures.

But it has been a great camera so far!

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:02am
post #3 of 9

I have heard that Canon camera are excellent, but I have also heard that Nikon lenses are excellent. Decisions, decisions....lol....

DeliciousDesserts Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:20am
post #4 of 9

AI realize this isn't your budget, but wante to say I really like my Canon Rebel T1i. I'm certain there isn't a huge difference between Nikon & Canon. My expierence, I would absolutely purchase it again, no regrets.

jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:45am
post #5 of 9

AYou can't beat Canon for a low-end camera...this one has 16MP (which is more than enough) and 5x optical zoom with stabilization for $135 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UMM1UO/?tag=cakecentral-20

Don't forget the tripod.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 9

Maybe in a couple years I will feel well off enough to get a really nice camera, but for now, I ordered the Nikon. ;-) It has 14 MP, stabilization, and built in flash, with options. I hope it is decent!

Laney, your pictures are gorgeous! But, so are your cakes, so it would be hard to get a bad picture!

I have a small tripod, but I like the bolt, string, and washer method. haha

jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 9

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Maybe in a couple years I will feel well off enough to get a really nice camera, but for now, I ordered the Nikon. ;-) It has 14 MP, stabilization, and built in flash, with options. I hope it is decent!

The L310 got average reviews (there were several complaints about blurry pictures) but hopefully it will work well for you. It also doesn't include rechargeable batteries so you'll want to spring for some NiMH AA cells if you don't already have some.

You can also buy the L310 for $110 on Amazon.

Crazy-Gray Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 9

AYou got a good camera, it's very similar to mine! May I share some tips? They might help you cos I got really bummed with blurry pants pics when I first got it....

Tripod is essential, a cheap one at $10-15 will be fine.

Don't be scared of the manual setting, you only need to think about 3 things; set iso to 100 as that will give you the best quality- you'll have no graininess at all :)

Thing 2 to think about: set you aperture (you'll find how to change it up or down in the manual) to halfway between its smallest number and its biggest number, probably about 9

Last thing set the shutter speed until the little arrow on the guide bar moves into the middle :) you'll see it on the screen, you might need to half press the shutter button to get it to appear.... You may need it to be set to 2-5 seconds which is why you need the tripod- the tiniest movement will give you blur, you might need to set the self timer to 2 seconds so your finger pressing the button doesn't create a blur!

Ooh last thing (secret thing to think about number 4) don't use it's flash, have someone shine a flashlight off a cake board to reflect the light at your cake or even better use a spot lamp shining through white cloth or paper.

If you struggle with it don't fret or let it annoy you like I did! Pm me and I'm sure I can help :)

Once you get used to this, play with the aperture to give you blurry or sharp backgrounds and change the shutter speed to compensate

Happy snapping!

Gray

Crazy-Gray Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 9

AJust ignore me lol, i googled the manual; it seems all those settings I babbled on about are built into the different auto settings so it'll be way easier for you, just play with them and see what works, food mode, candle light mode..... but the self timer, tripod and lights will still make a huge difference so I wasn't totally stupid!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%