Cake Boss

Lounge By cakealicious7 Updated 6 May 2013 , 12:54pm by cakealicious7

cakealicious7 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 7:39am
post #1 of 14

ASo I was just wondering if anybody lives near buddy's ( cakeboss ) shop or if anyone's tried his cakes????

13 replies
weirkd Posted 5 May 2013 , 1:45am
post #2 of 14

AMy husband was traveling and they stopped there. They waited in line for a half hour! So he brought back a mix of cupcakes and then mini desserts. The cupcakes were ok, but not anything that I think would be worth standing in line a half hour for! The cake portion was kind of dry! The mini desserts were pretty good. But again, nothing to write home about! I've had pastries from a bakery in New York that were to die for! These were no where near it!

cakealicious7 Posted 5 May 2013 , 10:05am
post #3 of 14

A@ weirkd ya know I've heard this sooo many times! That's why I wanted to ask this question, his cakes LOOK great but what's the point if the taste is not up to scratch?

Norasmom Posted 5 May 2013 , 11:47am
post #4 of 14

I also visited Buddy's bakery, on a road trip with my nephew who was looking at colleges.  There is quite a line outside and the place is jam-packed craziness inside.  We thought the pastries were delicious, especially the cannoli.  I was worth it just to have the experience.  That being said, although delicious, the pastries were on par with what you would get at any "little Italy" section of a major city.  The worst part was getting over the George Washington bridge in Manhattan at rush hour during construction...I will NEVER attempt that again.

cakealicious7 Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 14

ALol, no i did hear that the cannoli was the best thing from there. Apart from that I heard the cakes and what have you were dry and stale, I just wanted to know for sure because buddy' s bakery is so famous I thought his products would be out of this world.

Claire138 Posted 5 May 2013 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 14

A friend of mine went to the States recently and while in NJ went to Carlos bakery where she purchased some cakes and cannoli's , she was unimpressed with both. The cakes were dry and somewhat tasteless and she hated the cannoli's;she said they were gross. She actually threw the whole lot out.

cakealicious7 Posted 5 May 2013 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 14

AWoow what a waste, I wonder why people keep going to his store if he has such bad reviews???

DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 14

ABecause he is "The Cake Boss." He's famous so people will go.

Original message sent by cakealicious7

Woow what a waste, I wonder why people keep going to his store if he has such bad reviews???

They've been in business for so many years. At least at some point that had to be wonderful. Perhaps quality declined with popularity. It could also be that most people don't have a trained palette. After years of eating junk some people don't know the difference.

cakealicious7 Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 14

AI understand where you're coming from but i've read so many reviews where they just keep describing his products as "tasteless", "stale" and "dry". Like you said because he is "The Cake Boss" that's why people go to him. I don't want anyone to get me wrong I love buddy and his show!!

NJsugarmama Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 14

AAs a baker and lifelong Jersey girl...I've never stepped foot in his store. I will probably never go. Too many bad reviews. My best friend in HS and college was engaged in Buddy's shop and it was filmed on one of the season premiers a few years ago. Even then, I still have no desire to go. There are many great bakeries on this state. Buddy doesn't fall under great. He has a warehouse for a bakery for crying out loud!

cakealicious7 Posted 5 May 2013 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 14

ALool! I think I actually saw that episode!!

kikiandkyle Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:22pm
post #12 of 14

I'm sure that when they were baking for an average number of customers, the cakes were good. But the thing about having a ton of customers who don't really care about the quality of your cake, but come and buy it anyway for the experience, it's easy to stop caring as much about it. I'm not saying they stopped caring, but having lived in a number of 'tourist destination' cities, you start to notice that businesses kind of give up a little because their main customers are never repeat ones no matter what.

cazza1 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 14

Sounds like they need to spend more time on their so called secret recipes and less time hamming it up for the cameras.  After all the fame will not last forever.  I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons but now the show bores me stupid.  Too much buddy and not much else.

cakealicious7 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 14

AYep that's actually true

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%