Candy Melt Decorator Frosting Help

Baking By MsNeuropil Updated 17 May 2013 , 4:47am by MsNeuropil

MsNeuropil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsNeuropil Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I was given a recipe many years ago when I took the 3 levels of Wilton classes and it was for a Candy Melt Decorator frosting.  Seems like I tried it way back then with the white and my adult kids really liked it better than a more traditional crusting buttercream which they felt was "greasy". 

I am making this cake for my elderly parents and they don't like buttercream at all...they prefer store bought icing...which I don't want to use cause...well why would I??  LOL!  I thought I could tell them it was a CANDY icing and they will be more receptive to it.  I'm a fewer ingredients sort of gal...and I like ingredients that aren't hard to pronounce.

Anyways...I thought I would give it another try today (with violet) and I have never before had any left overs so storage was not an issue.  I will have left overs since I am making a 6 in cake.

My questions are:  Storage ...I don't live in a hot climate...(N of Seattle)  Recipe is found in Cake Centrals recipe section but I don't see any comments about the small amt of cream used and storage requirements.

I wonder if a person used this to make Roses...will you need to store them in freezer or will they air dry?

Can I add coloring (other than candy coloring) after the frosting is completed.  In other words...can I tint my "violet" candy melt frosting if I choose to?

3 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 4

ACan you give a link to the recipe, so we can give an educated opinion?

MsNeuropil Posted 17 May 2013 , 4:47am
post #4 of 4

Wow, I was hoping to learn a little bit about the storage of this frosting BEFORE I made it but I guess no one uses it...LOL. 

I finally made it and I can tell you this much.  It is not great with refrigeration at all.  Completely unworkable when you store in frig...so you end up having to rework the stuff after softening in microwave and then in the stand mixer so this doesn't appear to be something you would make ahead of time or put on a cake that needs refrigeration due to it's filling.

IF I ever make this again....I will thin it more before spreading it.  It was not very easy to pipe shells...so I am not sure if I would bother making roses with it. 

It does taste good however with a very nice mouth feel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%