Hel With Wedding Cake

Decorating By reneevelvet Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 1:49am by kazita

reneevelvet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneevelvet Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

AI have been asked to make a friends wedding cake and have a few questions.  I am planning on red velvet with cream cheese frosting, and after reading enough about it, have decided to use buttercream icing.  I already have a great cake recipe, but could use some suggestions on the buttercream.   Biggest concerns are about when to make.  I don't want to freeze, but Want the least amount of work on the day of.  I will be making the cake in three layers, to feed aprox. 100, and also about 50 mini cupcakes and 50 whoopee pies.  The cupcakes and pies I'm okay with making day before, but was concerned more about the cake. I'm thinking to bake the cakes on thurs, and ice, fill and basically finish on fri.  I will assemble at the reception.  Keeping it very simple on the outside, if you google 'rustic wedding cake' and look at the images, I'm planning on doing the style like either the one with raffia on the first row (third from the left), or the second row (fourth from the left).  Can I assemble and leave it out the night before? Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

6 replies
biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

We did the first cake the night before, left it out and assembled at venue.

The second cake we completely assembled actually 2 nights before because it had to be transported from our house in Texas to Louisiana about 4 hours away.

Strawberry cheesecake with strawberry buttercream...

French Vanilla, Traditional Buttercream, Ivory Fondant, Burlap Ribbon, food Color Initials

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

AI don't know what kind of buttercream you're using. Are you making buttercream using butter or shortening? Are you making Swiss or Italian buttercream? If you are making buttercream using butter or shortening I know that you can make those a good week in advance, just put in the frig and when you go to use it let it come back to room temperature a bit,, than whip it until fluffy again than it's good to go. Now if you're using the other buttercreams I've never used them so I can't help you with them.

You can also make the cake layers in advance, just bake your cake than when done take out of oven let cool in pan for 15 minutes than level cske while still in the pan. Buy cake cardboard rounds the same size as the cake so that you can turn cake out on cakeboard. After you level cake put cake board on top of cake and turn cake onto the board, now warp the cake in s couple layers of cling wrap , put the cake into the freezer while still alittle bit warm. When it comes time to thaw out the cake, take cake out and put on counter in the cling wrap and let thaw completely than take out of cling wrap and decorate. I'm know that you can leave out the buttercream that is made with butter or shortening overnight , I'm unsure about the othet buttercreams. I do know that a buttercream made with shortening is more stable than one made with butter.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

Athank u kazita for that, it also helped me

biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

ABoth of the cakes shown are buttercream with crisco...

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 7

AIf the wedding was on Saturday I would, bake the cakes as soon as I can. wrap them very well freeze them. Would bake the cupcakes two days in advance and decorate the day before, I would ice and decorate the cake on Friday. I always finish everything the night before. Wouldn't want to leave any chance for a disaster on the day. I like to work comfortably and not have so much to do in one day as I will just get tired and not achieve my best work. I think baking cupcakes, woppie pies, icing and decorating everything will be way too much to do in one day.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:49am
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by cakealicious7

thank u kazita for that, it also helped me

You're welcome happy to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%