Any Tips On How To Stop A White Cake Mix From Turning Yellow?

Decorating By bassett72 Updated 26 Jan 2014 , 5:55am by mcaulir

bassett72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bassett72 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:08am
post #1 of 18

AI usually use the cake doctor recipes for yellow and chocolate cake and always add pudding and sour cream. Now I have a friend that wants a white cake and specified white, not yellow. If I add vanilla pudding it turns yellow. I'm using Watkins Clear vanilla to help and i could do it without pudding but thought i would check and see if anyone had any good suggestions? I really like all my cakes to be VERY moist and dense.

Please advise. Thanks,

17 replies
biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:16am
post #2 of 18
bassett72 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:25am
post #3 of 18

AThanks. What did you end up doing? Did you try the white chocolate pudding?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:56am
post #4 of 18

A few dots of violet gel/paste color added to the batter will give you a nice, white cake when baked.

biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:07am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

A few dots of violet gel/paste color added to the batter will give you a nice, white cake when baked.

Cool!!!  I'm going to try that!!!  Thanks!!!

bassett72 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 18

Interesting, I'll have to try that, but I've already gone beyond my cake testing limit according to my wife.  ;-)

What, who doesn't want 3 or 4 cakes in their freezer for a rainy day!?!?!?

OK, serious question though.  As I mentioned above, I have really developed a great chocoloate and a great vanilla cake recipe with THE CAKE DOCTOR recipes as a foundation.  I just tried the white chocolate pudding and it still tastes yummy, but then I realized that the only thing stopping this cake from being a true WHITE is the egg yolks.  However, it is been beat into me that you don't skip the egg yolks or you sacrifice flavor.

Any thoughts on that or suggestions on how to skip them without sacrificing the flavor?

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 18

You simply can't have a truly white cake if it's got egg yolks in it.  White cake recipes have egg white only.  Let's say your normal recipe has four eggs and you want it white.  Just leave out the whole eggs and substitute eight egg whites, and for most recipes, at least, you'll be fine.  Yeah...it's going to taste different.  Double up on the flavoring.  Or use a unique flavoring that takes it in a whole different direction.  It just depends on what the desired result will be.

bassett72 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle 

You simply can't have a truly white cake if it's got egg yolks in it.  White cake recipes have egg white only.  Let's say your normal recipe has four eggs and you want it white.  Just leave out the whole eggs and substitute eight egg whites, and for most recipes, at least, you'll be fine.  Yeah...it's going to taste different.  Double up on the flavoring.  Or use a unique flavoring that takes it in a whole different direction.  It just depends on what the desired result will be.

Understood, all but one thing.  When you say, "Double up on the flavoring", in order to have it taste "normal" (not almond flavored, etc), should I just add some clear vanilla?  Or do you mean something else?

bassett72 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle 

Understood, all but one thing.  When you say, "Double up on the flavoring", in order to have it taste "normal" (not almond flavored, etc), should I just add some clear vanilla?  Or do you mean something else?

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 4:21am
post #10 of 18

No egg yolks, no butter, no colored flavorings and no puddings as they tend to all contribute to the yellow color. Sour cream or plain yogurt shouldnt change the color.

bassett72 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 18

Well, I gave up.  I was able to achieve a white cake, but without the yolks, the cake was flat.  About 2/3rds the size of a normal 1/4 sheet cake.  ARGH.  Due to lack of time, they get a semi-white cake.   :-(

Should I have maybe added some baking soda to help it rise?  Something else I could have done to get a cake that was thicker than 1"?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 18

pm me if you would like a great very tasty white cake recipe that is really white and is awesome.  It is from scratch, but it is easy and worth it.

Ann Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ann Marie Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 11:13am
post #13 of 18

I would love that recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing!  Thank you!

createdbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
createdbakery Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 5:21am
post #14 of 18

I would love that recipe too!! I've tried several times to make a good white cake but it's not turning out good :oops:

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 6:28am
post #15 of 18

My white cake with egg whites doesn't fall flat. Just put in 5 whites rather than 3 whole eggs.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:09am
post #16 of 18

The OP posted in a thread on this exact subject last year.  It was explained then. :-t

http://cakecentral.com/t/33205/white-cake-mix-doctoring-it-up-and-keeping-it-white

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 5:19am
post #17 of 18

Yes, egg whites, only. You can follow all the other suggestions, but if you use whole eggs, it'll be yellow. Separate the yolk: 3 whole eggs = roughly 4 egg whites.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 5:55am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

The OP posted in a thread on this exact subject last year.  It was explained then. :-t

http://cakecentral.com/t/33205/white-cake-mix-doctoring-it-up-and-keeping-it-white

Yes, on the same day they they posted this thread, after someone already linked to that thread in this one. I assume the OP read that thread after starting this one. On the 13th of April. Last year.

Man, I hope they've learned their lesson about posting twice on the same topic 9 months ago now. :roll:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%