I Hate This Cake.

Decorating By iCookiBake Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 1:23pm by cakealicious7

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:06am
post #1 of 7

I really hate this cake ...

It gave me way too much trouble...

Just about everything that you could think of going wrong, it happened today...

-My cake broke and I had to come on here and get advice on patching it up, after finding out that it COULD be patched up at least.

-My piping skills are non-existent. I couldn't get the shells to form how I wanted them even after practicing on wax paper and having them turn out perfect in the practice runs.

-The bottom border is just a straight line because I was annoyed about the lack of frosting on my sides.

-I tried the "viva method" and it actually did a good job of smoothing out the BC but then it started to stick to the cake. I think the humidity of where I live (the Bahamas) ruins EVERYTHING. (And I may need to use one with shortening instead of just strictly butter)

-The shell border on the top wanted to slide off.

-I made the thing in the middle of the cake with purple and teal fondant and even that sucked because after adding the colors, it got super sticky and I could barely get it rolled out .. and then when I cut the shapes out, they kept stretching and melting.

-Tried freezing it for a minute and it stuck to the paper plate! So I had to toss it out and do it again.

- Don't even talk about piping "Happy Birthday". I almost threw the cake out the window when I tried that.

Even after all that, I am proud of what I did .. which is, I kept going and didn't quit although that is what I desperately wanted to do a few times. I will keep on practicing!

*I'm so thankful to have found CC and all of the amazing people and instant advice!!!*

Oh and please excuse my messy countertop and overripe bananas icon_redface.gif They are going to be made into banana bread ... at least THAT I'm really good at ! icon_lol.gif

6 replies
iCookiBake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:09am
post #2 of 7

Oh I forgot that it being so hot, the big purple stars at the corners all but melted off, if you can tell in the pics. Should have switched to the smaller tip but it wasn't worth the hassle at that point.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:18am
post #3 of 7

AIt really doesn't look that bad. We all see every tiny thing we *think* we did wrong. Good for you for following through, even though you were mad at it. :D

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

AI understand where you are coming from, but the cake looks great. I like the blue and purple. You might want to try modeling chocolate, made with confectoners choc, and see if it stands up to the heat a little better.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

Looks good!  I can't make sheet cakes to save my life...round cakes, easy.  Sheet cakes...no such luck!

iCookiBake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you guys!! I'm glad everyone thinks it looks good .. I will just keep on practicing and practicing!

I've made many cakes but I would always frost the old fashioned way, and never had a problem with my cakes breaking either. 

This time I think I put too much pressure on myself and that's why everything went wrong. We all expect a lot out of ourselves I guess.

But it still turned out at least presentable. My 9yr old daughter told me it was SO pretty, so I was pleased at that comment haha ... 

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7

AThat cake is really pretty,I think you should feel proud of yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%