Need A Name Reflecting Family And Kids Maybe....

Baking By mrslyston Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 10:58am by enga

mrslyston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslyston Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 52

Hey there. I am working on starting a cupcake business. I will be doing it from home with sales prodominatly online and around town. Anyway. My kids are Bennett, Ashlynn, and Cadence. Nicknames are Benny Bug, Red Devil, and Cady. I call them my hiethens and hooligans, etc... I want a name that is somehow after them in a way or includes them in some way like "Sanford and sons" KWIM?... Not really sure how to explain it, lol. My name is brandi by the way. I want something clever or standout.... HELP!

51 replies
biscuiteater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscuiteater Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 52

AWith 3 kids, I'd go with Chaos & Cupcakes....LOL!

mrslyston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslyston Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 52

That's awesome.

biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:06am
post #4 of 52

AI have 2 kids and I'm always in chaos. So I figured ditto for u!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:18am
post #5 of 52

Question: Are you trying to sell your kids or baked goods? Because, I am a mother of 4, love my kids to pieces, and I chose a name to reflect the feel I was trying to go for, with my wedding and celebration cakes. My kids aren't mentioned. And as a consumer, when I see names that are all about the kids, and not the business, I am really not impressed.

biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of 52

AI'm the opposite....I see a business about kids and I see personality...

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:23am
post #7 of 52

Brandi's A B C cupcakes,lol

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:34am
post #8 of 52

I guess I get enough of my own kids, I really don't want to have other people's kids forced on me, in anyway. Not their names, grades, hobbies, pictures...I don't care enough about them. I mean, I am not heartless, just my own keep me busy, and wear me out, and I love them SO much my heart hurts, but I am just not in love with anyone else's. Plus, I think it is an advertisement, and I don't want some weirdo seeing my kids, or even knowing I have them, just to make some money. And most (your kids may be great, don't know...) people's kids just aren't that charming, this day in age, where discipline is getting more and more lax, and kids more and more wild. I just want to have an adult conversation with a business owner.

I am also not the type of person to give anyone wallet size photos of my kids twice a year. I don't want a pic of anyone else's kids in my wallet, and I don't assume anyone wants a picture of mine. My purse is a mess as it is.

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:36am
post #9 of 52

wow.....

biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:40am
post #10 of 52

AYeah.... Uh.... I'm a middle school teacher. So, although kids are annoying at times, I don't mind if people bring their kids into their business especially if its a home business...

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:43am
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuiteater 

With 3 kids, I'd go with Chaos & Cupcakes....LOL!

That just makes me think you're going to forget my order, or that little Benny Bug is going to throw his toy car at the cake you've just finished making for me.

If you want to give a homey, cosy-type vibe, maybe something to do with Mom's home baking something or other.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:44am
post #12 of 52

I'm with Annabakescakes - you should not name your business after your kids.  How would it affect them if the business fails?  Or they hear someone with negative feedback about it?  You think they won't take it personally, but it is hard not to if it is their name being used.  Just my 2 cents.

Liz

mcaulir Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:46am
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

wow.....

Wow? Anna makes a great point. Honestly, no-one cares as much about your kids as you do, and your clients couldn't give a fig about them. I certainly don't expect anyone I'm making a cake for to ask, care, or know about my kids. They want you to be competent, professional, and care about them and their event - not the other way around.

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:50am
post #14 of 52

I might be wrong but I thought she just wanted to include them in some way in the name of her business, I dont know if she wanted to use their actual names or not.

Maybe she will explain it in more detail when she posts again.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:51am
post #15 of 52

I can't decide if I would like a business name that reflects your kids or not. I am one of those people who don't particularly like children. I am great with them, I just don't like 'em. Kids are sticky. If you name your business something that is blatently named after your children, it might turn off some people. On the other hand, some people will respond well to it.

To each his own. If it works for you, great. thumbs_up.gif

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:04am
post #16 of 52

I happen to love kids, sticky ones too, that's what bathtubs are for,lol.  I don't think there is anything cuter than watching a baby smash and eat their first cake.

OP, good luck with naming your bakery. I hope you came up with something that reflects you and your family.

biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:16am
post #17 of 52

Lord.......Who would've thought this would get sticky!!!  LOL.... Chaos & Cupcakes was originally a joke, but if she likes it, then got for it!  I would buy cupcakes from you!  Kids are my career, so I love them all....charming or not.... ;)

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:19am
post #18 of 52

Thank you

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:30am
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuiteater 

Lord.......Who would've thought this would get sticky!!!  LOL.... Chaos & Cupcakes was originally a joke, but if she likes it, then got for it!  I would buy cupcakes from you!  Kids are my career, so I love them all....charming or not.... ;)

Kids are so much a part of what I do.  When they want a cake I ask them what they like, what are their favorite colors, etc.  I try to inject their personality into the actual cake, love watching their little faces light up when they see the final result.

biscuiteater Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:37am
post #20 of 52

I understand....kids make life fun!  Whether I'm in the middle of my classroom in the middle of a energy lab using stinky liver (EEEKKKKK) or delivering a mickey mouse birthday cake...Their excitement about things is infectious to me.  Don't get me wrong, they can drive you nuts, but I appreciate the excitement they can get out of things.  As we get older, we loose that....

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:40am
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

Wow? Anna makes a great point. Honestly, no-one cares as much about your kids as you do, and your clients couldn't give a fig about them. I certainly don't expect anyone I'm making a cake for to ask, care, or know about my kids. They want you to be competent, professional, and care about them and their event - not the other way around.

Yea, she made a great point, "she doesn't like kids", we get that.  The OP just wants to incorporate her kids names in her business.  I cant believe for the life of me some of these post.  Why would you even say that on a public forum and you sale cakes for kids.SMDH

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:20am
post #22 of 52

AYeah I'm on the fence about someone having there kids names in there business name, but I really think its up to them The Op just joined today and has only posted twice and this thread got really opinionated really fast so who knows she might of been ran off. I do feel things got somewhat harsh and that's why some threads get locked or altogether deleted. Anyways just my 2 cents worth.

mcaulir Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:45am
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

Yea, she made a great point, "she doesn't like kids", we get that.  The OP just wants to incorporate her kids names in her business.  I cant believe for the life of me some of these post.  Why would you even say that on a public forum and you sale cakes for kids.SMDH

Well, I suspect she said it (Anna can correct me if I'm wrong), so the OP could get an idea of how potential customers could react to a business that seems to be focused on her own children.

People are allowed to not like children, although I do myself. And not all cake businesses sell cakes for children.

Edited to say, strike that, I like older children and teenagers. If I can avoid 2 year olds for the rest of my life, I"ll be a happy camper.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:57am
post #24 of 52

Anna for president. icon_wink.gif

kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:11am
post #25 of 52

AI had to go back and read the Op again. She says she wanted her business name to somehow incorporate her kids names in there some how, Im not sure she doesn't say that she's only gonna do just kids cakes but maybe she is I'm not sure. There was s thread on here just this week where a lady said to get on some list I can't remember what the list was called but she started out with just one mom and making a cake for that ladies child and the mother was very happy with the cake and put this cake ladies name all over this website where all the ladies of the town go on so this cake lady gets a lot of business making childrens cakes. So don't knock it until you try it. And maybe this lady the Op loves children hers and other people's, there are people out there like that for instance child care providers.

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:36am
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslyston 

Hey there. I am working on starting a cupcake business. I will be doing it from home with sales prodominatly online and around town. Anyway. My kids are Bennett, Ashlynn, and Cadence. Nicknames are Benny Bug, Red Devil, and Cady. I call them my hiethens and hooligans, etc... I want a name that is somehow after them in a way or includes them in some way like "Sanford and sons" KWIM?... Not really sure how to explain it, lol. My name is brandi by the way. I want something clever or standout.... HELP!

To me it sounds like she just wants an idea for a name for her business.  I don't see any where the OP said anything about liking kids or not liking kids or  whether or not it was a good idea to use your kids names in a business. It was brought up by people posting.

If I didn't like kids I certainly wouldn't bring it up in a thread started by someone with kids who is just looking for ideas for a catchy name for their business.

These threads always start off innocent enough, it is a shame that they turn nasty.

What is so wrong about just answering the original question?

kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:42am
post #27 of 52

A

Original message sent by enga

To me it sounds like she just wants an idea for a name for her business.  I don't see any where the OP said anything about liking kids or not liking kids or  whether or not it was a good idea to use your kids names in a business.

If I didn't like kids I certainly wouldn't bring it up in a thread started by someone with kids who is just looking for ideas for a catchy name for their business.

These threads always start off innocent enough, it is a shame that they turn nasty.

What is so wrong about just answering the original question?

I agree the thread got very opinionated real fast probably scareing away the Op and thats just not right

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:02am
post #28 of 52

Oh Anna, you soulless, child hating, dream crusher!

I think you'd be better off just choosing a simpler name, that won't confuse customers, and going with a fun, family-friendly motif for your business. Colourful, playful business cards, website, etc. Especially since you said the bulk of your sales would be online.

I love kids, but honestly I wouldn't even consider a bakery that gave any impression that children were involved in the business. Kids are messy, kitchens should be clean, lol.

I'm not saying I think you let your kids pick their noses and then stick their fingers in the frosting, but it's pretty much the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of kids in a kitchen!

Could you maybe use your surname? ie "Smith's Cakery/Cupcakes/Bakery etc" I know it's a bit boring, but then your kiddos still feel like they're included, but you have a clean professional name.

I chose a sort of funky name, and it's the one thing I regret, even though I love it. You want something easy to spell and easy to remember!

I didn't see anything nasty about Anna's post at all, she expressed what some potentials customers. A lot of people feel the exact same way she does, and something as simple as a risky choice of name can mean losing a lot of business. She was actually being extremely helpful, if you don't take it personally. (and I certainly wouldn't!)

enga Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:02am
post #29 of 52

A friend of a friend where I used to live opened an artisan bakery and used his sons nickname for the name of the bakery and it's logo. Doing fantastic by the way. www.rocketbabybakery.com

Here's how they started and came up with the name

http://www.jsonline.com/business/rocket-baby-bakery-taking-off-in-wauwatosa-9q6k10s-174104581.html

I wish you luck OP, if you have a good product, it doesn't matter what you name it thumbs_up.gif.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:23am
post #30 of 52

Sticky, or muddy, snotty or even pukey or poopy kids don't bother me, if they are my kids. I just don't want other people's kids germs on me. I have a business, and people rely on me. If I get sick, I have to figure out what to do to get cakes out there still.

I actually LOVE children very much, it is just the stupid parents I can't stand. Before I started my business, I volunteered in our church nursery every other week, and just adored about 1/3 of the kids. I wiped noses, butts, and the floor, and it didn't bother me a bit. The kids I couldn't stand, I felt sorry for, and tried to show them how to behave right in the 3 short hours I had them, and heaped loads of praise on them when they acted like humans, and not animals. I grew to love the brighter ones that learned how to behave. Their parents were always early dropping them off, and late getting them, and couldn't stand them either, since they had never taught them to mind.

And I was always a baby sitter, and hung out with young kids when I was a teenager! I talk to them like they are people, and not pets, like a lot of people who profess to love children do.

In the time I have been in business, I have had exactly 6 kids come into my business. The first 2 were siblings and ran around the bakery, literally. They messed in everything, and I finally had to say something myself when the girl grabbed a chair, dragged it over to my dummy cakes and started poking and grabbing them. I blame the mother, because she never said a word. The next girl was super good, and stood there, and I asked her questions, and gave her a free cupcake, with her mother's permission. The next 2 were siblings, at a tasting, and the little girl got snot on my lace table cloth, and filling and crumbs smeared into it, while the boy ran around in circles. Not a word was said. Then, the little girl flipped the table over, and my fancy platter broke on the floor. Good thing they had scarfed all the cake down! Then, the last child came with her mother to order a cake for her First Communion. I talked to her like she was an adult, asked her about school, and her uniform, and really got what she wanted in her cake down. They are both thrilled with the design, and can't wait. I actually found out after the consultation, that it was my Health Inspector's wife and daughter, lol!

That is it, in 3 years. 6 kids. And, I have made hundreds of cakes for kids, they just aren't the ones with the cash, placing the order. Adults do that. I don't expect the client to have to deal with my kids when they are here. They see the basketball hoop, and scooters, and skateboards, and bikes, and the half pipe in our yard. There is always chalk all over the driveway! I relate to them when they mention relatable things. "Oh, my daughter loves Monster High, too!" "My son turns 4 on Sunday, also!" But I always keep my kids out of the bakery, it is not the place for children.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%