Advice On Icing And Laying Fondant On A Cake.

Decorating By jscalz Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 2:01pm by Embles

jscalz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscalz Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a friend's wedding cake in a week, and she wants red velvet cake with cream cheese filling. Would I be able to frost the cake with cream cheese icing and then lay fondant on it? or will that icing make it difficult to put the fondant on the cake?

Thank you! :)

5 replies
Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 6

AHavent ever done this but I did read up on it once and apparent ly the cream cheese icing breaks the fondant down and melts it, could be wrongx good luck id ganache

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 6

No, cream cheese frosting under sugarpaste is a disaster - I did it once and the entire cake dissolved into a sticky mess.  Never again.  Vanilla IMBC is a far better option and tastes lovely.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 6

I used cream cheese frosting under fondant on this cake.  It was a carrot cake made for xmas eve and sat out at the party all evening with no problem.  I am not sure however, how long cream cheese should go unrefrigerated but the fondant was unchanged and no one got sick.  If I were doing it for a wedding I would certainly see how long it could safely be unrefrigerated.

Melted Snowman- carrot cake

jscalz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscalz Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 6

Ohhh, a white chocolate ganache sounds SCRUMPTIOUS! I've never used ganache before, will it make for a good frosting under the fondant? And how would I go about using it in such a manner????

I just don't want to mess this cake up. Weddings are a big deal. haha

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

AI had a couple of gos at it, used expensive white choc first but own brand 2nd time and a good result! Use 3 to 1 ratio and have a look on here for guidence but it gives u a much better base than icing. Good luckxxxc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%