16" Round, 9 Layers = Too Heavy??

Decorating By cakecakes2013 Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 6:57pm by PLAmom

cakecakes2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecakes2013 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 5

AMaking a 16" round tree stump wedding cake. Plan was to do 4" dummy, then 3 three layer sections (each around 4" tall) . Need 300 servings. Just layered and filled first section. It weighs about 17.5#. So definitely using foam board, bubble straws, and models in those . However, am now wondering if I should sub one of the layers with another dummy? And do kitchen cakes for the last 100 servings? I'm ahome hobby baker doing this for brothers wedding and would rather the cake not implode from the weight. Thoughts? Alternate ideas? Ty!

4 replies
cakecakes2013 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

ADowels not models, autocorrect on phone

cakecakes2013 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

ANow I'm thinking a visit to the plumbing section and a bought separator plate. Used a flange and pipe for middle 'dowel'....hmmm

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 5

I would think you will be ok... I have seen some huge cakes in the past and they seem ok.

If you use cake board between your tiers and proper dowel and support it should hold its on weight. Make sure the Cake Board is nice a sturdy (a piece of wood would work supper) JUST SUGGESTION:  Home depot has pre cut round butcher block tops (a 20" is less than 30) and you can use it to put cake on. I did that several times looks rustic and makes a nice sturdy cake platter!

Anyway I think your biggest concern will be lifting and transporting the cake since it doesn't sound like something you will be able to stack on site.

Good luck!

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 5

I watch Cake Boss and they use them all the time. :-) Sounds like a good sturdy plan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%