Flooding

Decorating By ehh219 Updated 6 May 2013 , 4:43am by 2txmedics

ehh219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehh219 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hi - I'm new here icon_biggrin.gif

Wondering if anyone has any foolproof tips for flooding? I tried it last weekend with Wilton Royal Icing, the kind you mix up from a box, and it was a DISASTER. I'm a fondant girl, so this is way out of my league, but I'd like to start experimenting with it. A lot of the links I've found here on CC are broken or too old. Any good suggestions?

Emily

11 replies
ehh219 Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 12

I guess you have to be part of the cake central clique to get answers....

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 12

Be more specific - what part was a disaster?

Liz

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 12

A

Original message sent by ehh219

I guess you have to be part of the cake central clique to get answers....

like many of us, I am on here quite a bit, but this time of the week is a very busy time, since orders need to be made and go out. Also, I am a buttercream and fondant girl, myself, so I have no fricken clue how to to flood filling, so I wouldn't have a guess, except I'd would say make your royal, take some out into a bowl, add a couple drops of water and then drip some of the icing into the bowl, if it takes about 3 seconds to disappear, it is pretty good for flood filling. I just read that on a cookie blog though.

This is CAKE central, not every one of us knows how to flood fill, it has nothing to do with and cliques. Plus, since you posted on a Thursday, I am sure most of the people who saw your post didn't have a clue, or where just here to post a question themselves, and it quickly got shoved to a back page.

ehh219 Posted 3 May 2013 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks. I'll look for cookie central, or baking central I guess lol

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 3 May 2013 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 12

AI'm assuming we're talking about flooding cookies. I have never done it but I googled a website on how to do a simple looking cookie

cakejournal.com/tutorials/how-to-flood-cookies-with-royal-icing/

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 3 May 2013 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 12

If we are talking about cookies it's called color flow.

http://cakecentral.com/t/34124/helf-from-color-flow-professionals

I use Wilton meringue powder and mix it with powder sugar and water (recipe on the can).  It's super important that you sift your powder sugar that the water is warm.  

I use the basic recipe to make the edges of the cookie (the outlines).  It is important that your royal icing is sticking to your cookie so that the flooding part can't seep (sp??) out the bottom.  I also wait a few hours for everything to dry although I am not sure that it's mission critical.  

Then, I use the little plastic squeeze bottles they sell in the candy/cake making aisle at the craft store to poor my basic royal icing into and add water drops at a time till i get it runny enough for flooding.  Don't add too much water, just enough so that it flows out nicely and will settle into a puddle.  Then I wait a day for them to dry.

You can also use the same method and do the design on wax paper and then attach it to your cake.  That's what the horses are made out of on my carousel cake. 

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 3 May 2013 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 12

What was disaster??? I'm thinking icing was too thin or there was grease in bowl when you mixed royal icing.  I start with a thick royal icing and slowly thin it down to where it just barely flows.  Use plastic bottle, ziplock bag or plastic pastry bag with tip just cut off for small lines to fill in corners.

Many outline with a thicker royal icing, let it dry for 6 hours then fill in to flood.  I find I need to let the icing dry 6-10 hours if I am doing really complicated work.

Try powdered eggs or meringue powder to make your royal icing for flooding.   Let us know what happened so we can send a better answer of why it didn't work.

And sometimes our questions just don't get answered.  I just posted yesterday on dulce de leche and got 0 replies...that's the way it works..  sometime people can tell you things and sometimes they don't.  For the most part I find CC'ers advice great.   Also think the cookie group might have answered this faster.

ehh219 Posted 3 May 2013 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 3 May 2013 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 12

If you want cookie forums, check out:  http://www.cookiedecorator.com/forum.php

Callie from http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/  has great tutorials if you want to learn more about flooding/decorating cookies.  

I use Antonia's royal icing recipe and works great every time.  My best advice is to keep practicing.  It takes time and patience to make cookies and you can't give up :)

ehh219 Posted 4 May 2013 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 12

AThanks so much! I will check that out :)

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:43am
post #12 of 12

Try this and see if it helps....

Consistancy of RI

How to Make RI

And this one has me Floored, Why would you Ice a whole cake in RI??? Can anyone explain this one??? and wouldnt it be hard like a plaque???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%