High Ratio Shorting?

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm by SugarExplosion

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:33am
post #1 of 17

Hi Everyone,

This maybe be a simple question but is High Ratio Shorting the same as Lard?

16 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:42am
post #2 of 17

AOh no GROSS! ! It's completely different thing.

www.littleladycakes.com/2009/04/high-ratio-shortening.html?m=1

It makes buttercream taste yummy unlike gross crisco.

kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:56am
post #3 of 17

AYou can buy high ratio shortening in 3 pound or 50 pound sizes you can buy it at a cake supply store or a restaurant depot or online. If you buy it online its best to do it before it gets to hot so that it doesn't melt during shipping.

slice-heaven.com/store/show/HRS77320

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:57am
post #4 of 17

Uh, butter "makes buttercream taste yummy."

kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:04am
post #5 of 17

AEach to its own but butter is unstable in the hot summer months that are coming.

SugarExplosion Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 17

Kazita and hbquikcomjames,

Oh thank you bot! I use to make it with crisco and butter but now all the recipes I see says to us HRS and I wasn't sure what the difference was. I livve in TN and is HOT here.

DeeDee

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 17

It kind of tickles me that in this modern age when we're all so far removed from the farm, people tend to forget that lard is PIG FAT!  PIG FAT, y'all.  But, having said that, it really has no taste.  I occasionally use it in piecrust.  Really makes great, flaky pie crust. 

And on a sort of related subject...I may be one of the few who doesn't like the taste of butter in buttercream.  It's just too, too rich for me. (And there IS the stability issue to contend with.)   I think the shortening-based icing have a much cleaner taste.  Just switched to high-ratio shortening, and I am even more convinced.  High ratio is the bomb!  But let me tell ya - a 50 pound block of Sweetex is a lot of shortening! L)

Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 17

Sugar Explosion - just saw that you're in Tennessee.  Me, too. 

I did a family wedding in July last year where the bride insisted on meringue-based buttercream just oozing with butter.  For an outdoor wedding.  Did I mention it was July?  The top layer ended up heading South before the reception even got started.  The bride didn't see that happen, and I just told her it had been taken inside.  Which wasn't a lie.  Only problem is, it was taken inside to the trash bin!  ::) 

I'm new to HRS too but quickly saw its value.  Don't know what part of Tennessee you're in, but I got my Sweetex at Lit in Memphis for about $80 for the 50 pound box.  Sure beats paying $13 and $16 for three pounds, which is the price at the local cake shops. 

kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 17

A

Original message sent by Crimsicle

It kind of tickles me that in this modern age when we're all so far removed from the farm, people tend to forget that lard is PIG FAT!  PIG FAT, y'all.  But, having said that, it really has no taste.  I occasionally use it in piecrust.  Really makes great, flaky pie crust. 

And on a sort of related subject...I may be one of the few who doesn't like the taste of butter in buttercream.  It's just too, too rich for me. (And there IS the stability issue to contend with.)   I think the shortening-based icing have a much cleaner taste.  Just switched to high-ratio shortening, and I am even more convinced.  High ratio is the bomb!  But let me tell ya - a 50 pound block of Sweetex is a lot of shortening! L)

I found out about high ratio shortening through Edna De la Cruz I use to use crisco now that I've tried the high ratio shortening it is like night and day between the two and I too think butter is just to rich, I've also tried buttercream made with butter and I just didn't like it. I think high ratio shortening is getting a bad reputation just because people hate crisco and the two don't even compare. I did want to buy the shortening in the 50 pounds but yeah I don't have the room.

Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 17

I'm lucky in that I work at a place where we have a freezer and an extra fridge.  I packed up the excess Sweetex in sealable bags and took them to work to put in the freezer.  That was NOT easy!  It took my hubby and me working together, and we still got Sweetex all over us and the kitchen.  But, it was worth it.  When we were done, we had piles of bags full of white stuff.  We got tickled when we realized it looked like we are the state's biggest cocaine dealers!  I work in showbiz, and there are a lot of people in my world who..well..do drugs.  Let's just say it!  I fully expect to open the freezer door and see some of my bags gone.  Will THEY be surprised!  :)

Crimsicle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 17

I'm a goober!  Sugar Explosion - just now saw that you're in Millington.  I got my Sweetex at the Lit on Summer Avenue.  If you haven't been there...go!  Explore the whole place.  It's a treasure trove.

kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 17

A

Original message sent by Crimsicle

I'm lucky in that I work at a place where we have a freezer and an extra fridge.  I packed up the excess Sweetex in sealable bags and took them to work to put in the freezer.  That was NOT easy!  It took my hubby and me working together, and we still got Sweetex all over us and the kitchen.  But, it was worth it.  When we were done, we had piles of bags full of white stuff.  We got tickled when we realized it looked like we are the state's biggest cocaine dealers!  I work in showbiz, and there are a lot of people in my world who..well..do drugs.  Let's just say it!  I fully expect to open the freezer door and see some of my bags gone.  Will THEY be surprised!  :)

Lmao!! Yeah they won't be getting a high off the shortening ....to funny.

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 17

Can I get this high ratio shortening at places like "Sunday Diner" ? I live in Alabama and Shipping in our heat is out of the question.   Also, switching to this, will help from slides under fondant? icon_eek.gif

kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 17

A

Original message sent by PLAmom

Can I get this high ratio shortening at places like "Sunday Diner" ? I live in Alabama and Shipping in our heat is out of the question.   Also, switching to this, will help from slides under fondant? 8O

I don't know what Sunday diner is so I'm unsure if you can buy high ratio shortening there or not. Do you have a restaurant depot anywhere close by you ? They sell it at those stores or a specialty cake supply store would also carry it. It shouldn't be to hot as of yet to buy high ratio shortening online and have it shipped should be ok.

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you .... (Sunday Dinner is like a Sams for restaurants)

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle 

I did a family wedding in July last year where the bride insisted on meringue-based buttercream just oozing with butter.  For an outdoor wedding.  Did I mention it was July?  The top layer ended up heading South before the reception even got started.  The bride didn't see that happen, and I just told her it had been taken inside.  Which wasn't a lie.  Only problem is, it was taken inside to the trash bin!  ::) 

FYI-- You can sub the some or all of the butter in a SMBC with HRS.  I haven't done the heat test with it personally, but it seems that it would be nearly bomb proof with 100% HRS and a stiff Swiss meringue.  It would however not crust, so it would still be out of the question for an outdoor wedding--unless you like that yummy gnat sprinkle on your cake icon_wink.gif

SugarExplosion Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 17

A

Original message sent by kazita

I found out about high ratio shortening through Edna De la Cruz I use to use crisco now that I've tried the high ratio shortening it is like night and day between the two and I too think butter is just to rich, I've also tried buttercream made with butter and I just didn't like it. I think high ratio shortening is getting a bad reputation just because people hate crisco and the two don't even compare. I did want to buy the shortening in the 50 pounds but yeah I don't have the room.

Just checked out Lits... It's great!! Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%