Please Help Me!!

Decorating By shelby10 Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 2:51am by shelby10

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:36am
post #1 of 13

Okay I have backed 2 double layer WASC cakes in 12, 10, 8 in all went in garbage due to being gummy and sticky, so off to the store I went, spent another 20.00 and got more supplies. I decided I was gonna due a different recipe 3d durable cake in white, had to throw away another 12, 10 due to the same thing.. What the heck am I doing wrong, followed my recipes.. I'm gonna cry really, I have to have these cakes done by Friday..Please some one help me!!!

12 replies
vgcea Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:53am
post #2 of 13

Do you have an oven thermometer to ensure that you're baking at the right temp? If your oven is not hot enough, your cakes won't rise like they should. Also are you baking the 10 and 12 at the same time? I've tried 2 different home ovens and found for the larger cakes I have to bake each layer separately or I end up with a bad result. If your oven is 'crowded' the heat won't circulate like it should and your cakes will come out wrong. Besides overmixing, I can't imagine why your cakes are failing.

MissLisa Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:54am
post #3 of 13

Most WASC recipes were created when cake mixes there were 18.25 ounces in the box.  That's not the case now, there are only 15.25 ounces and it seems to be throwing a lot of people off.  I personally haven't found the solution yet, still tweaking my recipes.

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:16am
post #4 of 13

No, I don't have oven thermoter, and yes I was backing the 10, 12 at same time, but baked my 8in alone and did same thing, the first set of cakes I baked on 300, the second on 350..Pretty sad when my 9yr old say's the cake that's gooey

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:17am
post #5 of 13

yea, I added in the extra amount but didn't make a difference.

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:20am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLisa 

Most WASC recipes were created when cake mixes there were 18.25 ounces in the box.  That's not the case now, there are only 15.25 ounces and it seems to be throwing a lot of people off.  I personally haven't found the solution yet, still tweaking my recipes.

I put the extra amount in, for Duncan hines cake it was 16.5 so I added 1.75oz

lorieleann Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:33am
post #7 of 13

How long are you baking?  Are you going for time or are you testing and doing the smell and spring test?  

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:38am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

How long are you baking?  Are you going for time or are you testing and doing the smell and spring test?  

35 mins on 350 then tried 300-325 for about 50mins, I have a cake tester comes out clean..

lorieleann Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:50am
post #9 of 13

were they gummy and sticky all the way through?  or just on the top?  When I was making WASC I often got that yucky top, but once I sliced it off the cake was fine though the center. 

 

are your eggs very large?  are you leaving the oil in or out? 

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:02am
post #10 of 13

I only thing that I have changed and just remembered is normally I bake on second rake to the top, today I put cakes on middle rack..Humm I am blown away I just baked a three tier cake a month ago same WASC recipe and I never had this problem

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:07am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

were they gummy and sticky all the way through?  or just on the top?  When I was making WASC I often got that yucky top, but once I sliced it off the cake was fine though the center. 

 

are your eggs very large?  are you leaving the oil in or out? 

I just use large eggs at room temp, leaving the oil in.. And yes it was gummy and squishy all the way threw. I could roll it in a ball and  squish it like a pancake. It is like it is raw, but its not..Thats the only way I can explain it..So know I don't have a clue what I'm going to do.

AnnieCahill Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:17am
post #12 of 13

AI use the Rebecca Sutterby version with no problem. I add 1/3 cup extra mix (for a half recipe) and bake at 325 with bake even strips. It sounds like you aren't baking it long enough to me.

shelby10 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:51am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I use the Rebecca Sutterby version with no problem. I add 1/3 cup extra mix (for a half recipe) and bake at 325 with bake even strips. It sounds like you aren't baking it long enough to me.

I have a 8in, on 325 back on the top rack and it has risen more then any of my cakes have today, so i'm thinking it was the oven rack placement..I also use the Rebecca Sutterby version and add in the extra..Hopefully this was just my oven..I have spent way to much money today on cake mixes,sourceam and eggs, unfortantly I messed all of my cakes up so back to the store I go 2morrow..Sigh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%