What To Charge?

Baking By Baking Me Crazy Updated 11 May 2013 , 3:21am by Norasmom

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 27

AHow much should I charge for a dozen Mario Bros Cupcakes? I was thinking about $2.50 per cupcake. Is that too muh, too little? Help!!!

http://www.wiinoob.com/super-mario-bros-cup-cakes/

26 replies
jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 27

AThat seems low. I'm not sure where you are but around here basic cupcakes with a buttercream swirl go for 2-2.50/each.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 27

AHey baking me crazy I grew up in Fontana moved when I was 18 long time ago lol. Yeah $2.50 for all that work seems really low if you have to do all that work I would go at least $3.00 a piece.

Baking Me Crazy Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:02am
post #4 of 27

AI told the girl $2.50 per and she she'll pass, said it was way too much.. I'm glad to hear from you guys that it was actually too little.. I need to give myself more credit and charge accordingly.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:09am
post #5 of 27

APeople just don't know how much work goes into a specialty item.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 5:36am
post #6 of 27

Cute cupcakes with lots of detail - time consuming, hand-modeled figurines..

I would have charged at least $10 per.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:56am
post #7 of 27

A

Original message sent by Godot

Cute cupcakes with lots of detail - time consuming, hand-modeled figurines..

I would have charged at least $10 per.

Agreed, the $10 range sounds about right, $2.50 each would only work if you could finish decorating each cupcake in less than 5 minutes. Consider how much you would charge per character if they were included on a cake. You would also need to obtain permission from Nintendo before duplicating their copyrighted characters.

Baking Me Crazy Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:34am
post #8 of 27

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Agreed, the $10 range sounds about right, $2.50 each would only work if you could finish decorating each cupcake in less than 5 minutes. Consider how much you would charge per character if they were included on a cake. You would also need to obtain permission from Nintendo before duplicating their copyrighted characters.

I had no idea I had to get permission from Nintend. Thanks for the info.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 27

If all 12 cupcakes were to have a detailed fondant piece like in the picture...$65 for the dozen..

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 27

ADebbie is gonna laugh her butt off at that article.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Debbie is gonna laugh her butt off at that article.

Yeah, that was bad, lol.

Ugh, what a lot of work! I think I would say $8 each, in the hopes they refuse. 

Baking Me Crazy Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 27

AI think I'm missing something... Who's Debbie and why would she laugh at the article? Sorry, I'm kind of new to forums so a llittle filling in would help :D Thanks!

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

I think I'm missing something... Who's Debbie and why would she laugh at the article? Sorry, I'm kind of new to forums so a llittle filling in would help icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

Click the link, and read the article ;-)

Baking Me Crazy Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 27

AHahaha... I didn't even read the article when I posted the link for the picture..

himali7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
himali7 Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:07pm
post #15 of 27

I think it would be charged $25 per cupcake.

Baking Me Crazy Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 27

After the girl ( friend /  my hubbies boss' daughter in law ) telling me that she will pass on the cupcakes because my pricing was way too high, I left things as is.. her son's bday is this weekend and she txt me just now.. asking if she can have my frosting recipe. I don't even get an invite just wants my frosting recipe. icon_confused.gif

what should I tell her?

RachelGearon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelGearon Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 27

AI would tell her to look up recipes on google.!! She doesn't deserve your recipes.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:35pm
post #18 of 27

AYep.

Baking Me Crazy Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 27

So I told her that I wasn't home and that I would look over my recipes when I got home tonight then txt her. She replied with she will just google one because she needs to make them soon.

didn't get a thank you for willing to give a recipe up. Hmmm!

Annabakescakes Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:54pm
post #20 of 27

I'd give her the most expensive, time consuming recipe I could find, in industrial size, lol. "Yes, ma'am you can, start with 200 egg whites and 40 pounds of sugar, and 60 pounds of butter...."

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:59pm
post #21 of 27

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I'd give her the most expensive, time consuming recipe I could find, in industrial size, lol. "Yes, ma'am you can, start with 200 egg whites and 40 pounds of sugar, and 60 pounds of butter...."

Yet another example of why cc needs a "like" button ;)

Baking Me Crazy Posted 11 May 2013 , 12:01am
post #22 of 27

AAnnabakescakes... that made my day. I needed a good laugh

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 May 2013 , 12:11am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

I told the girl $2.50 per and she she'll pass, said it was way too much.. I'm glad to hear from you guys that it was actually too little.. I need to give myself more credit and charge accordingly.

Too much for her to pay, perhaps, and that's fine. Not too much to charge! Those are two completely different figures.

I certainly wouldn't pay what I charge for cake.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 May 2013 , 12:23am
post #24 of 27

Realistically, no one is going to pay $8.00 or more for a cupcake, unless they are a Kardashian and just want to say they did to show off their oodles and wads of cash.   I'd say $3.75 per, but do you really want to do all that work?

I just did ballerina cupcakes and way undercharged. Not a big deal though, as next time I bake them I will be pricing them correctly.  When I bake something new, I never quite know exactly how long it might take.  But then again, I had fun, so I'm charging people so I can have fun.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 May 2013 , 2:00am
post #25 of 27

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

Realistically, no one is going to pay $8.00 or more for a cupcake, unless they are a Kardashian and just want to say they did to show off their oodles and wads of cash.

There are plenty of customers (upper-middle and upper class, not necessarily super-rich) that will pay $8+ for custom cupcakes if the design warrants.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 May 2013 , 2:33am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Realistically, no one is going to pay $8.00 or more for a cupcake, unless they are a Kardashian and just want to say they did to show off their oodles and wads of cash.   I'd say $3.75 per, but do you really want to do all that work?

Sure they will. My local chain coffee shop in the food court of the shopping centre charges $4 for a packet mix cupcke with a smear of icing and a jellybean on top.

If people will pay for that (and they do), they'll pay $8 for a cupcake like the ones in the picture.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 May 2013 , 3:21am
post #27 of 27

Hmmm...I stand corrected.  This is giving me food for thought.  In my demographic the cash exists, so time will tell.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%