Carving Question

Decorating By Em Enoon Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 12:32pm by Em Enoon

Em Enoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em Enoon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 4

AHello everyone , I am making a 9✖13" cross shaped cake. It's going to be two layers and filled with buttercream. Do I first carve, then layer, then fell and assemble layers? Or is there a better way to do it? Thank you for any tips

3 replies
ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

All the cakes that I have carved I have leveled, filled and stacked before carving. I pop the cake in the freezer for about an hour and carve from there. I have never had any problems doing it that way. Hope it goes well for you icon_smile.gif

Louiselovesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louiselovesbaking Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:14am
post #3 of 4

AYe I have buttercreamed mine first and the frozen and carved after all that, the other thing I have done is make two separate cakes the same size, freeze them as they are, then buttercream and sandwhich them frozen, let thaw for a few hours but so still slightly frozen and then carve. The frozen cake sets the buttercream well. It's so much easier to get a clean crisp carve when slightly frozen. I had to buttercream mine after freezing as I didn't have enough room in my freezer for a whole assmebled cake.

Em Enoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em Enoon Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 4

AThank you very much. The cake turned out very well :) It's my first carved cake, I was a bit nervous but I like to think that the result was very good. My client loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%