Paint A Cake With Food Gel Colouring?

Decorating By Lauraaa Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 8:49pm by PLAmom

Lauraaa Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 6

AI've made a beer barrel cake and covered it with white fondant icing. I've got some brown food gel colouring and paintbrushes, but don't really know what to do next! I've seen stuff about thinning it down with vodka, but I don't have any at the moment. The cake is due for Thursday night, so I could buy the vodka tommorow and paint it with that if that's what really works best. Is there anything else I could use n stead of vodka though, like vanilla extract or something? Also, how much of each should I use to cover it? It's 5 cakes high and about 12" at the widest. Thanks for any help!(:

5 replies
PLAmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 6

I use Almond Extract when painting.. does same thing and gives it a nice smell. You can use lemon juice too but I don't want my cakes smelling like lemons :-)

I would just do a little at a time because it will evaporate quickly.. the good thing with the barrel look the different shades if you don't mix exact with add to the dimension of the cake. I buy almond extract in big bottles at Sams club (Cheeper than vodka too!)

lorieleann Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 6

if you only have vanilla that would work because you are already going for a brown color.  You want to have a high alcohol content (as in vodka or grain) so that there is more evaporation and your fondant doesn't get soft or broken down with the water in the product.  

Lauraaa Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 6

ABut what quantities of food gel colouring to vanilla extract should I use to cover the whole cake!?

PLAmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 6

thats definately a lot of painting to do. Are you doing it solid? or decorations?

Solid you are going to need at least 4 bottles I would think and 1 big bottle of extract (evaporates fast).

Decorations / detailing you should be able to get by with 2.

If you are wanting a nice smooth solid finish, I don't know if you will be able to achieve that painting the entire cake. It will be hard to hide the brush strokes.

Hope this helps.

PLAmom Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 6

Accoding to some other people it will take several coats to get a nice dark color. If you are trying to cover the cakes solid it will probably take several bottles.

If you haven't covered the cakes yet they suggest tinting the fondant to help the coverage better. If white more likely to see missed spots.

Don't forget dry time :-(  Good luck! I bet it will beautiful but a lot of work.

PS Wilton offers a "Dab a Color" for their stamping line that works good for detailing and you don't have to and extract. But again not sure how solid you are trying to cover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%