Wilton Food Color Spray On Fondant??

Decorating By maddy1977 Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 9:34pm by maddy1977

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone used the Wilton spray food colors to paint fondant? I have a cake to make and can't get the right color that the client wants on the fondant. Has anyone tried this before and did it work well?

I'm afraid it might make the fondant sticky or looking as if is melting.

Thank you all!! :)

5 replies
RoccoDana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoccoDana Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

AIf you get some vodka and use food coloring, you can paint the color on the fondant. It will not melt the fondant . No need to buy expenses vodka . I always buy those mini $1 sample size ones.

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

The wilton spray makes it gummy and unpredicatable about flow (to me)

I agree with RoccoDana, you can also use Almond Extract and some say vanilla extract to paint with if you do not have vodka.  Higher alchol quicker it evaporates.

**A lady posted on another post that If you need a deep rich color you will need to do several coats letting it dry between layers.***

if you do a lot you may want to invest in airbrush. Thats on my christmas list icon_biggrin.gif

maddy1977 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 6

AI also have an order for a cheetah print cake coming up and I also wanted to paint the white fondant gold and do the cheetah prints on top of the gold and wanted to try the Wilton gold color spray or the duff. The other cake I need to paint is lavender and can't get my fondant to the right color that the client wants. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

PLAmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLAmom Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 6

For a nice gold, I would think trying to paint the entire cake would take several coats.  I would suggest taking scrap of white fondant and try the buff gold spray and see how you like it.  As for lavender I would just play with tinting the fondant.

I recently had to match Tiffany & Co color and I ended up with waste fondant, but I eventually hit it dead on.

maddy1977 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm already done with the cheetah print which I ended up just leaving the fondant white and I added shimmer to the black and brown gel colors I used for the prints. They came up shiny and it match the ribbon I put around the board (you can see a pic on my profile). As for the lavender color fondant, I will play around to try to get the right lavender color the client wants. Anyone knows if there is any specific brand of fondant that will color better? Or will homemade MMF work best? Thanks again and happy caking! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%