How Do I Create This Lace And This Texture On These 2 Cakes?

Lounge By SetFree Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 4:20am by ApplegumPam

SetFree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SetFree Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:24am
post #1 of 18

I like this lace on the left cake (and i think it is also on the right one in periwinkle) and they peach on the right one.  Does anyone know how to create both?  I tried sprinkles on BC to imitate the right cake but it did not work.  Thanks

17 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 18

I could be wrong but the lace looks hand piped to me.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 18

AYep I agree with you it looks hand piped.

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 18

AIt's definitely hand piped. I've seen it done.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 18

I can't really see the 2nd one so clearly, but I do believe the first is hand piped. Kelvin Chua has a couple of classes where he teaches this effect (more or less) with royal icing.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 18

I have done this a few times, sugar veil !  It works amazing, I drew it out on parchment, flipped the parchment over and piped in sugar veil.   I did the fine detail in sugar veil placed it in the cake and then piped over that for the large detail.  You just need to draw it out to size for your cake.

SweetMelissa730 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:03am
post #7 of 18

Use buttercream but use a small tip, like a #2, and make sure your icing flows very easily. You may have to thin it out. If you add a little corn syrup to your buttercream it will give it some pliability and help it flow out of the small tip better. 

SweetMelissa730 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:04am
post #8 of 18

oh and obviously a bigger tip for the bigger areas...

SetFree Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:56am
post #9 of 18

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the advice.  I guess i will be taking out my pipping bag to learn how to use it! icon_biggrin.gif

SetFree Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 18

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the advice.  I guess i will be taking out my pipping bag to learn how to use it! icon_biggrin.gif

What is the main difference between royal icing and sugar veil?  Is one medium better than the other for this technique? 

SetFree Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 18

What is the main difference between sugar veil and royal icing?  Is one medium better than the other for this technique?

SweetMelissa730 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 18

Sugar veil is expensive, and can be difficult to work with if your not used to it. Royal icing would be okay but it gets really hard when it dries. I really think buttercream is your best option.

SetFree Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 18

I agree that sugar veil is expensive.  Thanks, i will give it a try in BC and royal icing with a little corn syrup (it seems that corn syrup prevents it from drying too hard).

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 18

The sugar veil was great to use and not that expensive , I think I used a 1/3 of the bag to do the cake.  For me it just made it all easier, I piped the design in the morning (I live in a dry climate) and it was ready to use by the afternoon. I liked it because I felt, for me I had better control,it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

SetFree Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 2:40am
post #15 of 18

Thank you.  I will be trying sugar veil a try one of these days.  There is so much to learn about cake decorating!

bakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakediva Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:48am
post #16 of 18

Don't forget about lace cake stencils.  You'll get a similar look. Do a google search for them.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:58am
post #17 of 18

AIt might be string work, I can't really tell, but here is a tutorial http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2010/05/bridgeless-stringwork-part-3.html?m=1

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:20am
post #18 of 18

Sure your example is piped

If you are looking for the easy way out it will cost you   ......   (very similar design here) -

http://www.allaboutcakeart.com/catalog.php?item=27

The trouble with wanting to purchase all of these 'moulds', 'lace presses' etc is that your designs are limited to the moulds you can buy - AND everybody else has the same

Learn to pipe properly and you can replicate most any design - with the same equipment, no additional expenditure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%