Freezing Cakes

Decorating By RachelGearon Updated 14 Apr 2013 , 1:19am by icer101

RachelGearon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:26am
post #1 of 17

AI know i have been asking a lot of questions lately, and I hope you all don't mind.!!

I have made 4x 5" cakes and frozen them for my nephews christening on Sunday.

What's the earliest I can get them out and ganache them.? And can I put them back in the fridge once they are defrosted and I have ganached them.?

I am covering them in fondant on Friday afternoon as I am taking them out to my brothers house then, will they still be fresh Sunday if I decorate them Friday?

Thanks.!!

16 replies
iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:30am
post #2 of 17

I think they should still be fresh.. everything I've read says that fondant locks in the moisture and keeps your cake. I would also imagine you can put ganache then put them in the fridge until you're ready to put on your fondant. But you don't put it in the fridge once the fondant is on..

RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 17

AYeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks =)

RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 17

AMic read a lot of threads on here about thawing cakes. Everyone has a different opinion.!!

I'm worried if I unwrap my cakes to defrost they will be dry and if I leave them wrapped they will go soggy.

Does anyone have any tips.???

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 17

To defrost cakes I take off the several layers of plastic wrap, and then just lay one piece loosely over the top of the cake while it defrosts. I take them out a half hour or so ahead of time, depending on the room temperature.   It doesn't take very long to defrost single layers of cake, so they are not sitting out much.  I also frequently start to assemble and frost before the cakes are completely defrosted.  That seems to work just fine, and the cakes never sit out for long.  I have not been worried about them drying out.  

iCookiBake Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

To defrost cakes I take off the several layers of plastic wrap, and then just lay one piece loosely over the top of the cake while it defrosts. I take them out a half hour or so ahead of time, depending on the room temperature.   It doesn't take very long to defrost single layers of cake, so they are not sitting out much.  I also frequently start to assemble and frost before the cakes are completely defrosted.  That seems to work just fine, and the cakes never sit out for long.  I have not been worried about them drying out.  

I only just made my first fondant cake, but based on everything I read on this site and elsewhere, that's what method I went with.. I took my cake out for about 20-30 minutes, then put on my crumb coat, put back in the fridge uncovered for another 20 minutes, took out and did the second layer of buttercream, then put the fondant on. My cake was frozen before but it had already started to thaw out a little. then after the fondant I just let it sit on the counter, seems like it worked out perfectly for me! Good luck.

RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 17

AOk I will definetly try that. Thanks so much for your help.!!!

RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 17

AIv just got one more question. If I defrost my cakes overnight tonight (Thursday) and ganache and fondant them tomorrow (friday) will they still be fresh on Sunday.?? I baked them on Monday and Tuesday and froze them once they were cooled.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 17

Defrost them in the wrapper so the condensation develops on the wrapping, not the cake.  Yes they should be fine for Sunday. 

RachelGearon Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 17

AThankyou guys so much.!! I don't know what is do with put this site. =)

RachelGearon Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 17

AJust thought I would share my attempt at this cake. It's certainly not perfect but I think I am pretty happy with it considering iv only been doing cakes for 4 months.

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 17

AWow! The cake looks great!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 12:10am
post #14 of 17

ACute cake...good job

RachelGearon Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:53am
post #15 of 17

AThankyou =) I am my worst critic tho, I just see all the imperfections when I look at it.!

iCookiBake Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 11:24pm
post #16 of 17

AThat cake is gorgeous !!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 1:19am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%