Decorating By cakenewbelp Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 3:07am by cakenewbelp

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 7:44am
post #1 of 5

http://pinterest.com/pin/98938523033304016/

Ive been asked to make a wedding cake its 4 tier

6'8'10'12'

6 and 8 will be fake and 10 and 12 will be cake 

ive priced this up does this sound right?

Icing and ganache $50

Fondant $75 (4.5 kgs)

Cake mix $50

Ingredients (eggs butter) $20

Board $12.00

Stencil $7.00

Pearls $26

Dowels $10

Inside boards $10.00

Box $40

Tin Hire $30

Fake foam layer $20

Total $350

4 replies
goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:01am
post #2 of 5

I would have to say that your "cost" should be much less. I guess it depends on where you live.

Icing and ganache $50

No more than $30.00

Fondant $75 (4.5 kgs)

Homemade marshmallow fondant would be about $25.00. Not sure about cost for premade.

Cake mix $50

Should take no more than 8 boxes of mix. It's $1.14/box where I live so $9.12

Ingredients (eggs butter) $20

$8.00

Board $12.00

Depends on type of board used.

Stencil $7.00

My quilt stencils were around $5.00 ea. so that's about right if you need them shipped to you.

Pearls $26

$5.00 at most

Dowels $10

No more than $4.00-5.00. I use those big straws with dowels in the middle. Straws are $1.00 for 50 and 3   ft. dowels are less than $1.00 each at the hardware store.

Inside boards $10.00

Are you using regular cardboard cake boards?

If so, no more than $5.00

Box $40

What kind of box are you using? Typically, you only need the box to get the cake to the event.

I use regular moving boxes that are about $3.00 each. I do leave a small box for the anniversary cake. I  buy them in bulk for less than $1.00 each.

Tin Hire $30

Not sure what this is?

Fake foam layer $20

That's about right if you order them online and have to pay for shipping.

Total $350

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:59am
post #3 of 5

AYou also need to include the cost of your labor, overhead on a per-order basis (license fees, insurance, etc.) and markup based on market prices where you live.

If those prices are in USD I agree that they are way too high. Based on including tin hire (renting the cake pans) as a line item and your posting time it sounds like you are in Australia though.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:24am
post #4 of 5

Thinking Australia too ..... and yes - a cake mix here will set you back $6 for a standard Betty Crocker one!
Eggs $6 per dozen (can be more expensive and if you are happy to purchase eggs from poor little chickies that live their whole life in a caeg the size of a shoebox $2.79)

Butter  $4- $5 per 250g .... which I think is about 2 sticks

Things are a LOT more expensive here - and yes a 'regular moving box' to deliver a cake in - clean/un-used etc can add an additional $28 for a large cake - smaller ones used for books are approx $8

Bakels fondant here ranges from $48 - $80 for 7kgs (depending on what part of the country (east or west) you are and the purchasing power of the company you are buying from

This is why I think these posts re pricing are such a waste of time - people ask a question and well meaning people offer answers - only to find that the answers bear no REAL meaning at all

No offence meant to anybody - its just as stupid as asking..... how much is my house worth?

cakenewbelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbelp Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:07am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies,  I'm in Aus, i forgot this was an Amercian site.  Hence why our prices are so different.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%