Caramel Cake With Chocolate Filling/buttercream?

Baking By dukeswalker Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 11:26am by himalijagma

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

Never made this combo before but would love a tried & true, scratch, caramel cake (that I can make into books!)... TIA!

5 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:06am
post #2 of 6

One of my favorite combos! I just used it for samples at a bridal show and it was a huge hit. My most popular. If you have a favorite white cake, just replace 1/2 of the white sugar with brown sugar and 1/2 of the liquid with caramel sauce (I make my own but I'm sure the jars would work, too). The white cake recipe I use is in an old cookbook so I don't have a copy and paste version, sorry. The chocolate buttercream I use is a variation of Martha Stewart's fudge frosting.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

you dont find that it the cake becomes too sweet or sticky from subbing in caramel sauce?  

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6

AI have used caramel sauce in caramel cake. Caramel cake is actually one if my favorite flavors. Not the icing though. Too much. But, I have overdone it & ended up with a dense (in a bad way) rubbery sticky mess. Trial & error. Start with a buttery cake flavor to build on. I like Elcee's brown sugar swap, too.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

you dont find that it the cake becomes too sweet or sticky from subbing in caramel sauce?  

Not if you just replace 1/2 the liquid. My white cake recipe calls for 1 cup of milk so I use 1/2 cup of caramel sauce and 1/2 cup of milk instead. Although, I should say that my own caramel sauce is not as thick and gooey as the kind in a jar so maybe that would need to be diluted? That's just a guess, I don't know for sure.

himalijagma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
himalijagma Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:26am
post #6 of 6

you can find this kind of cake from so may websites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%