Has Anyone Made Their Own Molds Using Silicone From Make Your Own Molds?

Decorating By mbranko24 Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 12:03am by mbranko24

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 4

I'm interested in making my own molds (brooches, lace, etc), possibly to even sell on etsy some day. Has anyone used the silicone from Make Your Own Molds as compared to the kind you can find at your local craft store? If so, how do they compare, quality wise.

I know that the silicone from MYOM is pricier, but I am curious as to whether the mold will turn out cleaner/more detailed.

Thank you-

Erin

3 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

I've not used MYOM stuff but I have used the craft store silicone putty quite a bit.  Most of what I've done isn't intricate, but I did do a bunch of seashells, and the putty stuff captured every detail with great precision.  I made those about five years ago, and when I did a check of the molds just this last week, they seemed perfectly fine. Made some really pretty chocolates with them.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:00am
post #3 of 4

The only time I used the MYOM stuff was in a class and I have to say, it's really much higher quality than the yellow kind from the craft store. I have found that the craft store brand sets up too quickly to get the nice details you need for lace pieces but it's fine for smaller, less intricate items like brooches and buttons.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4

AThanks so much for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%