Name Some Combos To Go W/ Chocolate Devils Food Box Cake Mix

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 4:13pm by theresaf

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 2:20am
post #1 of 6

Want to do something a little extra w/ the standard Devils's food cake, i have some ideas but could use some more.

top of my list is pumpkin spice,

I dont think my friend would like peanut butter,

what about banana? or what about coconut... is chocolate and coconut weird together, seems like there would have to be something else, not just coconut.. but what?

maybe some coffee, all I have is my son's K cups so i am not sure, I would make a 1/2 strength? 

almond, but is that strong enough, how much would i add. ... pistachio pudding tastes like almond to me.. maybe that would be yummy?

I want to use my box of devil's food cake.. so i want to think outside the box for the combo flavor, but still be w/in the box!

5 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:08am
post #2 of 6

chocolate, coconut and almond are a yummy combo, tastes like almond joy.

Personally, I find pumpkin and chocolate taste sort of muddled together, not really a fan, but everyone's tastes are different.

My favourite flavours with chocolate are salted caramel, hazelnuts, espresso or raspberries.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 6

I have some Fiery Chai tea ( am very new to drinking tea so I pick a new one to try each week) and when I tried the fiery chai all I could think of is how I wanted to add a thing of hot coco mix. I dont even have a can of pumpkin so maybe if I do a spice cake w/ the chocolate I will forgo the pumpkin.

I like the idea of salted carmel, I have never made that, so I'll have to look up some recipes. I am not a huge fan of carmel, but when it is salted I like it much more.

almond joy... that is an idea  coconut and almond - how would I do that (w/out the shredded coconut) use almond flavor in the cake and then a coconut cream type filling - what about the frosting? maybe just chocolate butter cream?

I do have some Frangelico in the house, maybe I'll look up their site and see how much I need for cake.

I want to make cupcakes, but I must prefer layer cakes so I keep having ideas for that. maybe I can use the idea for "fillings" as a poke cupcake

what about pineapple... I love that Totally Yummy Pineapple Filling recipe here on CC, but I am not sure ppl would get pineapple and chocolate even though ppl do use pineapple in chocolate fountains and in edible arrangements, again I would think you would have to have more than just chocolate and pineapple.

keep them coming, I am vacillating between easy and some of these more complicated but super yummy ideas!

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 6

Well  yesterday i bought a chocolate cupcake that had a orange dreamsiscle icicng and it was wonderful. Now I'm out looking for a Orange dreamcisle buttercream recipe. 

bakingaround Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingaround Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 6

I am making a graduation cake for my niece and I am doing a devil's food cake, as well.  My choice of frosting will be a dulce deleche buttercream.  In the past I have also paired it with a white choc buttercream.  Although, a "no bake" cheese cake filling would be great.

Hope this helps!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Ok here's a couple of ideas from me!

Add a little instant espresso (powder, not with water) to the box chocolate mix.  It really deepens the flavor overall.

I like a nutella (or Jif's new chocolate or mocha spreads) as a filling between chocolate layers too!

Or a cherry - you can use a yummy cherry preserve (pit-less!!) and spread that between layers or mix it with a vanilla buttercream

umm or how about a caramel sauce.  

I am making myself so hungry right now!  Good luck!

Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%