Amerimist Problems....

Decorating By SandyS Updated 9 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm by LisaBerczel

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

I can't get the Amerimist sheen to work in my airbrush - just won't come out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sandy

7 replies
LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 8

What airbrush and compressor do you have?

Will the airbrush spray water?

From there, we can troubleshoot.

SandyS Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 8

Not sure about the compressor but the airbrush is a new iwata......yes I can use regular amerimist colors just not the sheen???

Thanks for the help!

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 8

Did you shake it up quite a bit?  The first time I used the sheen, I didn't shake it really well and it didn't work for me.

SandyS Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 8

Well thanks I will shake it more

LisaBerczel Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

The airbrushe's needle size and power of the compressor will determine IF you can spray a shimmer/pearl.
Your paperwork should say the airbrush's model/needle size as well as your compressor made/model.

Shimmers and Pearls tend to be thicker/larger particle size than just plain color.

Yes. You must shake pearls/shimmers. They tend to settle more than other colors.

Always test your airbrush by spraying water at the beginning of a session. It's easier to troubleshoot with water in an airbrush than a cup full of color.

How you clean the airbrush at the end of your session will also make a difference.

SandyS Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 8

What is the best thing to clean the airbrush with?

LisaBerczel Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8

The airbrushed should spray water till the airbrush sprays clear on a paper towel( assuming you are using a water based color.)

Backbubble by blocking the Fluid Nozzle's air flow - forcing the air back through the color cup. This will create turbulence and dislodge any color or pearl.

Spray with water till the airbrush sprays clear.

Add warm sudsy dish soap/water mix or a food-grade cleaner concentrate such as Nurturing Force.

Spray and backbubble.

Flush with plain water till airbrush color cup is empty.

Remove needle and wipe it off on a clean paper towel.

Replace needle.

If there is excessive color on the paper towel after wiping the needle off, repeat cleaning.

NOTE:

Do NOT get water in the trigger or air valve area. This will deposit dirty water near the air valve piston which will dry to a sticky residue and eventually make the trigger "mushy" and not responsive.

As a general rule, do NOT use a cleaner you wouldn't wash your cake pans with. Most airbrush cleaners are general-purpose and not food-grade. However, they can be stronger cleaners and may be required if you have a clogged or very dirty airbrush. Just be certain to wash the harsh detergent out as described above.

Do NOT completely disassemble your airbrush unless routine cleaning is insufficient. Taking apart an airbrush puts delicate parts at greater risk of damage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%