Rodriguez-km Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:24pm
post #1 of

I want to make a swiss roll, chocolate or vanilla, but I don't know a recipe for the filling. I have looked for some recipes and some of them require whipping cream and I don't have any at this moment. I was hoping someone out there could give me a recipe for a filling, it can be a vanilla filling or chocolate, and hopefully I'll have al the ingredients! Thanks in advance!

10 replies
liz at sugar Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:35pm
post #2 of

The icing that starts with a roux base (milk and flour) and then adds granulated sugar, butter, maybe shortening vanilla makes a very good Twinkie kind of filling.  Can't remember the name of it, though.

Liz

Rodriguez-km Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:37pm
post #3 of

Thank you! I will try to find it.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:45pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

The icing that starts with a roux base (milk and flour) and then adds granulated sugar, butter, maybe shortening vanilla makes a very good Twinkie kind of filling.  Can't remember the name of it, though.

Liz

I just made it yesterday. The recipe I used is 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and  1/4 tsp salt. you whisk it all together in a pan, add 3/4 cup milk, and cook it, stirring it the whole time, until it is really thick, LET COOL then add 1 cup of butter, cut in pieces, and beat it until it looks how you want it. Then 2 tsp vanilla is added, and beat in.

mrsmurders Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:54pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I just made it yesterday. The recipe I used is 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and  1/4 tsp salt. you whisk it all together in a pan, add 3/4 cup milk, and cook it, stirring it the whole time, until it is really thick, then add 1 cup of butter, cut in pieces, and beat it until it looks how you want it. Then 2 tsp vanilla is added, and beat in.

Do you have to wait for the roux mixture to cool before adding the butter to it? TIA

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 7:57pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmurders 

Do you have to wait for the roux mixture to cool before adding the butter to it? TIA

OOPS! Yes, you do. I scrape it into a mixing bowl, with a flat bottom, and it cools really fast. I was able to fix it! I have added an additional stick of butter, extra vanilla, with a bit (cup?) of powdered sugar, to make it a bit more substantial.

Rodriguez-km Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:01pm
post #7 of
Quote:

I just made it yesterday. The recipe I used is 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and  1/4 tsp salt. you whisk it all together in a pan, add 3/4 cup milk, and cook it, stirring it the whole time, until it is really thick, LET COOL then add 1 cup of butter, cut in pieces, and beat it until it looks how you want it. Then 2 tsp vanilla is added, and beat in.

Thank you soo much! I'm off to do my baking right now. thumbs_up.gif

mrsmurders Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:06pm
post #8 of
Quote:

OOPS! Yes, you do. I scrape it into a mixing bowl, with a flat bottom, and it cools really fast. I was able to fix it! I have added an additional stick of butter, extra vanilla, with a bit (cup?) of powdered sugar, to make it a bit more substantial.

Great thanks for the recipe! I have wanted to try something like this for  awhile now. I think i will make this as a filling for a chocolate cake next week. Did the granulated sugar make it grainy at all?

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:26pm
post #9 of

My recipe is a bit different from Anna's,

I cook 1 cup milk, (2% or higher), 1/4 cup flour and vanilla. (I use a vanilla bean). Whisk it over medium heat til it's a thick paste, then press saran wrap right onto it and cool in the fridge or freezer.

Once it's cool, beat 1 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar til fluffy, then mix in the cooled paste and beat on high for at least 5 minutes. Eventually it gets really fluffy and light, and the grittiness from the sugar disappears.

Putting powdered sugar in mine turns it to gloop, lol.

Chrissys Posted 24 May 2013 , 6:17pm

AScrumdiddly does this need refrigerated after in the cake?

cakesss Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 2:33pm

how much does this make?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%