Help With Ganache!!!

Decorating By auntginn Updated 8 Apr 2013 , 10:18pm by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

I am reading the recipes to make some ganache.  I see it says "High quality Chocolate" one even states do not use bakers chocolate.  

Yikes, that what I bought not really reading thru.  In the past I've used chocolate coating and it worked fine.

Can somebody please tell me why I should not use the bakers chocolate please?  I don't have any dark chocolate coating, don't won't to use milk chocolate for this.

TIA

6 replies
tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

In my experience, lower quality chocolate makes the ganache grainy, not satiny smooth.  Try Ghiradelli or Valrhona.

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you tj.  It is the Ghirardelli premium baking bar.  60% cacao bittersweet chocolate.  Will that work?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 7

I have used bakers chocolate with no trouble at all.  Your Ghirardelli will work just fine.

(Milk chocolate, ughhhhh, making ganache with it is very tricky)

MUCH more important is the fat content of the cream.  I buy only whipping cream.  If you have to use something with less fat, you will have to add a small amount of unsalted butter as well to make sure the mix comes together well.  Maybe keep a small amount of soft butter ready just in case you have to add a tablespoon of it to a pound of chocolate.

sweettreatsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreatsbysandra Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 7

my cake teacher said it's best to use 70% chocolate for making ganache. :-)

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 7

I did make it and it came out beautiful, Thank you both for your help.  I only make ganache with Heavy whipping cream.  That much I know lol..   I did not smooth it all the way around, this was a tester cake for the recipe only.  Its delicious!  chocolate mudd / peanut butter icing (also used for the filling) chocolate ganache.

auntginn Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

Sandra, 60% was the best I could get.  I live in an area where the finer baking products are not carried.  Believe it or not even in Los Angeles there are places like that.  I have to travel outside my community just to get this and other products.  If I went to my distributer I would have had to buy 50 lbs and the season is about to end so not quite a good idea.  lol.. Thank you for your information.  Next time I will be looking for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%