Mud Cake

Decorating By sweettreatsbysandra Updated 9 Apr 2013 , 6:58am by cazza1

sweettreatsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreatsbysandra Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 7

just wanted to check which do you use for chocolate mud cakes- the chocolate chips or the baking chocolate (block)???

6 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 7

Last week I made two mud cakes - one with dark chocolate chips, one with semi-sweet.  I didn't think either turned out overly chocolately.  The semi sweet one turned out with a more milk chocolate color.  I would either try those again with a cocoa addition, or try one with unsweetened chocolate, if you want it super chocolately.

I used an Australian recipe, and maybe their "dark" chocolate was really supposed to be unsweetened??  Didn't consider that until your post.

Liz

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 7

I personally use Callebut couveture nowadays in all my cooking but in the past have made mud cakes with the block baking chocolate.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 7

i use the 500g Lindt dark chocolate bars.  I find them at Winners constantly and keep a stash at home

sweettreatsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreatsbysandra Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

is callebut much more expensive?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

I use coverture chocolate, the highest quality I can find when I'm shopping.  Also I add coffee instead of water or any other liquid.  Makes a really rich dark chocolate.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 6:58am
post #7 of 7

Callebaut is not cheap but i buy it in bulk on the pretext that I am going to make those beautiful little shiny very expensive chocolates ( I went and did a course in Melbourne on chocolate making 3 years ago).  It tastes so wonderful that I generally end up eating quite a bit of it straight out of the packet.  It is worlds away in taste from the cheaper chocolates and worth every cents as far as I am concerned.  As I live miles and miles from anywhere it also costs me quite a bit to get it shipped but I think it is worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%