Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 16 May 2015 , 4:57am
post #781 of 797

You did better than me - I contacted them when they first changed it - and I was firmly told that the problem lay with me, rather than the product itself, and they could send me a helpful "how to" video if I would like. Surprisingly I didn't take them up on this offer....

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 May 2015 , 3:12am
post #782 of 797

Not cake - but just as sweet

Golden Syrup Dumplings for Dessert tonight .............................. with lashings of whipped cream :)

Whats Dessert is in your bowl tonight?

:)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 19 May 2015 , 9:59am
post #783 of 797

It's the usual in our house - cake dome scraps....the kids had white choc mud with a dollop of vanilla bean Swiss meringue buttercream, and I've got choc fudge with a drizzle of dark choc ganache and salted caramel sauce. I'll warm mine up and pretend it's a hot choc fondant - yummo!

But I'd happily eat your golden syrup dumplings - sounds divine - I'm so cold at the moment, our heater's broken and I'm in melbourne! Good for the ganache today though, the cakes set up ultra quickly!

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 21 May 2015 , 6:38am
post #784 of 797

Hi everyone, I'm flying in here for a quick hello and to ask a question. I was wondering where I would be able to order bulk white non pareils from. I'm not a business, but I do a lot of caking and prefer to colour my own non pareils - but they can get expensive, especially if I cover a tier in them. So I thought bulk would be awesome. Thankyou! 

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 21 May 2015 , 6:42am
post #785 of 797

Just had a quick read of the last couple of pages - I'm SO glad someone else hated that awful Glad Wrap box! I nearly killed myself on it! I've gone back to buying Coles or Woolies brands (I find them both to be exactly the same BTW) or Multix when it's on special. 

My kids have been begging me to make golden syrup dumplings for months now - I keep forgetting to! Might have to whip some up this weekend :)

Cakecreations15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecreations15 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 8:15pm
post #786 of 797

Hi there I'm from mount gambier down in SA

Cakecreations15 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 10:08pm
post #787 of 797

Hmm It seemed to cut off half my post .. Well I'm new here, and I was wondering what sites/stores you can go to to get supplies at wholesale prices? I do have an abn :) thanks guys 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 10:36pm
post #788 of 797

Welcome @cakecreations15 !  There are lots of online cake suppliers - most charge $9.95 flat rate postage and deliver within 2 days - week.  I live remote on a farm, so no big city shopping for me.  They are my only options.  Google away.... Latorta, Cakes Around Town, Raspberry Butterfly, Bake Boss, Cake Decorating Central, Complete Cake Decorating Supplies, Carolines Sugar Art, Sweet Inspirations, My Dream Cake.... are some options.  Most have wholesale rates for ABN holders but the discount varies from 'ok' to 'diddly squat'.  Some require big spends, most don't.   

Cakecreations15 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 10:39pm
post #789 of 797

Thanks heaps! I've purchased from cakes around town and missdot before so will have to check out those others :)

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 11:37pm
post #790 of 797

Quote by @CupcakeCali on 1 Apr 2015 , 2:56am

Hello Aussi bakers and cake artists!

How many of you are planning to attend the Cake Bake and Sweets show in Sydney or Melbourne? (or both)?

What do you hope to get out of the convention when you go? Info? Products? New ideas?

Thanks for your responses. :-)

@cupcakecali did you go to the Cake Bake & Sweets Show last weekend?  I went - decided to at the last minute....crowd numbers were down to about a 3rd, stall holders down by 10%, competition entries down 1/2 (tho 'kaleidescope of colour was an awful theme) no free show bags (big sad face).  Has caking lost is appeal???????  

I still had lots of fun, learnt some fascinating techniques/ideas for gravity defying cakes and came home poorer than I intended too. 

Anyone else go...what did you think?

Shazza65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazza65 Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 11:23am
post #791 of 797

Hi Aussie cakers

I have a quick question regarding Bakels Creme shortening. Am I able to substitute it for Crisco.  I d liked to try and make some LMF however haven't been able to buy my normal shortening. My local baker mixes the Bakels with icing mixture to make their buttercream, so I'm thinking it'll be ok.  

Your thoughts please? 

Thanks

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 11:54am
post #792 of 797

Hi @shazza65, I'm pretty sure they are inter-changeable.  They look the same, but I have yet to try the Bakels.  Carolines Sugar Art also does a version called Snowcreme.  It also looks good (but their packaging certainly needs a jazz-up).  The USA importer has just received fresh stock of Crisco, so your usual shop should be stocking up soon.  Otherwise, you can get a mail order delivery from "Latorta" in Canberra  if you have a few days up your sleeve for postage.  They definately have it in.

Shazza65 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 11:49am
post #793 of 797

Thanks so much.  I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Now you've given me some more websites to spend my time drooling over. Tsk.  I'll never get anything done at this rate :) 

Shazza65 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 11:51am
post #794 of 797

Thanks so much.  I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Now you've given me some more websites to spend my time drooling over. Tsk.  I'll never get anything done at this rate :) 

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 4:39am
post #795 of 797

Aussie from Brisbane checking in!

Nice to know there are a lot of us on here, so you'll understand the type of dramas we face - what the hell is Crisco, putting fondant cakes in the fridge here usually isn't a great idea, and a limited variety of "cakey" products available here compared to the U.S!

So while I'm at it (got some helpful responses to this, but always nice to hear from those who understand our climate)… would anyone dare to transport a slab cake(s) of black forrest for 90 people at a wedding, from Brisbane to Coffs Harbout at the beginning of October? - About a 5 hour drive. I'm thinking the effort to keep it cold and the cream from going off, or sliding, is going to be huge!

Jo-in-Oz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-in-Oz Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 4:12pm
post #796 of 797

Another Ausssie from north of Brissie.  Brookebakes I think the cake will survive quite well inside the car with the aircon.  Sit it on the back seat in a well secured box and it should be fine. Transportation is always a challenge in our heat and humidity. I still shudder about an assembled wedding cake I transported up to Montville.   On my lap.  Was all good till a forced sudden stop saw the cake crack spectacularly at the back. Lucky Montville has a wealth of flowering gardenias in the street.  Some well placed blooms and the bride never knew. In fact she loved it!

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm
post #797 of 797

Hi @Brookbakes ... Blackforest cream  6 hours out of the fridge is going to be touch & go for food safety let alone stability.  I would suggest transporting in a large eski .... whether you buy or hire one of the those big ones from BCF or asking your green grocer/supermarket vege person if can you have one of their polystyrene broccolli boxes. 

Lots of ice packs/ice to keep it cool and heaps of white covering over the boxed cake to keep the sun off.  Sun is more your killer than the heat, especially if your car has good aircon.  All the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%