Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 7:17am
post #751 of 797

Quote by @Magic Mouthfuls on 1 minute ago

Yes, that's exactly what I did.  I went back to Coles and bought a heap of white choc (tried to think what orders I had coming up) for a stockpile but all the dark choc had gone already (sad face).

Hmmm - any other Coles within a reasonable driving distance ;) :) :)

There was a whisper going over here - that Bakels were stopping with their Ivory fondant....so i stock piled

And they did actually stop producing it  for a couple of weeks......

THEN a couple of weeks later - they announced - Its on the market again - sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thankfully i had a few Ivory orders in a row lolllllllllllllllllllllll so was able to use a few tubs.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 May 2015 , 4:37am
post #752 of 797

If we're going to complain about packaging changes - try glad wrap - they moved the cutting bar to the lid - it was completely useless. When I complained, I was sent a link to an instructional DVD - because clearly I was mentally subpar....well I took offense and huffed off to buy Coles cling wrap - which is surprisingly functional and as a bonus, is cheaper!

I was very happy to see the old packaging back in the stores (but I will continue to buy the coles brand to re-state my displeasure with glad!)....and even more amused to see the useless glad wrap packages turn up in the $2 store....

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 May 2015 , 5:00am
post #753 of 797

@winniemog  ... You Go Girl!  I haven't bought "Glad" wrap for years.  I discovered years ago that the Coles & Woolies branded ones actually stuck better to crockery, whereas Glad stuck better to itself (usually that is not helpful at all).  

Another gripe....all the brands seemed to have changed 'recipes' for baking paper a few months back - with the current stuff useless for rolling cookie dough and drying fondant decorations on.  I found the 'old recipe' in Reject Shop.  

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:16am
post #754 of 797

And speaking of Glad Wrap - who was it and what was his name who decided to stretch it out and tighten it onto the rolls even more.

Glory knows how many times i have had to fight to get it to roll :/ 

And every roll i buy it doesn't even go to the edge of the actual roll :? 

So in actual fact we are buying the same length - but no the same width....ughhh.

Might do what you did Winniemog - and move onto another brand -

winniemog Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:26am
post #755 of 797

Oh yes....let's begin the "sad wrap" campaign....arise my caking compatriots and boycott them....

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:38am
post #756 of 797

Quote by @winniemog on 10 minutes ago

Oh yes....let's begin the "sad wrap" campaign....arise my caking compatriots and boycott them....

Seriously thinking i will do just the WM -

Which one do you ind better - Coles brand or the Woollies brand - pffttt, probably all come from the same place haaa.

winniemog Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:03am
post #757 of 797

I'm using the Coles brand but haven't tried the woolies one - I'm willing to be led in a different direction - although you're right, if I just scribble out the word coles and write woolies on the box I'm sure that's the same thing....hey this branding stuff is easier than I thought....

Bluehue Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:08am
post #758 of 797

Quote by @winniemog on 3 minutes ago

I'm using the Coles brand but haven't tried the woolies one - I'm willing to be led in a different direction - although you're right, if I just scribble out the word coles and write woolies on the box I'm sure that's the same thing....hey this branding stuff is easier than I thought....

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...

i will buy the Woollies one next.......................... and critique  :) :) all aspects - out of ten :)

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 May 2015 , 9:07am
post #759 of 797

You ladies have me ROFL .

I usually buy Woolies brand - HAPPY WRAP I'll call it.  Aldi's Goliath brand does the job just fine too.  But let's not forget the little guy in this scientific experiment Bluehue - give the IGA 'Black & Gold' or whatever a try too.

Bluehue Posted 2 May 2015 , 6:53am
post #760 of 797

Quote by @Magic Mouthfuls on 21 hours ago

You ladies have me ROFL .

I usually buy Woolies brand - HAPPY WRAP I'll call it.  Aldi's Goliath brand does the job just fine too.  But let's not forget the little guy in this scientific experiment Bluehue - give the IGA 'Black & Gold' or whatever a try too.

Oh yes, the little scientific guy - cannot forget him

Here in WA we don't have Aldi - YET - apparently it is coming but like with most things in WA = Wait Awhile - it will happen lolll

Flying out to Brisbane tomorrow - just for four days.... - so will do a search around and see whats up there for cake decorators....besides Cakes Around Town :)  ......and find an Aldi to browse through :) :)  

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 2 May 2015 , 7:23am
post #761 of 797

@bluehue .. Check out this link for a list of cake decorating retailers in Qld. I would love to wander Cakes Around Town - but I think I would be tempted to spend too much money ha ha.  Have fun!

http://www.bakegroup.com/queensland/ 

lucyfb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucyfb Posted 2 May 2015 , 8:44am
post #762 of 797

Hi another Aussie here from Shellharbour area. I too am just doing this as a hobby at the moment.

wholesale lingerie 

wholesale sexy bandage dresses

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 May 2015 , 9:00am
post #763 of 797

I am so pleased (?really at someone else's misfortune) to hear that someone else cannot handle the stupid upside down gladwrap.  I was swapping my new roll to the other box but hubby chucked it the other day and I never gave it a thought until I tried to use the new box.  Shall have to go to the supermarket and look for one that has the cutter on the bottom if they have gone back and transfer my current roll over.

winniemog Posted 2 May 2015 , 9:07am
post #764 of 797

They've definitely gone back to the original box - but I suspect they might be sending the rest of the rubbish boxes over to WA if they can't sell them in the $2 shops on the east coast....so you might have to wait awhile....

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 3 May 2015 , 7:51am
post #765 of 797

Quote by @lucyfb on 23 hours ago

Hi another Aussie here from Shellharbour area. I too am just doing this as a hobby at the moment.

wholesale lingerie 

wholesale sexy bandage dresses

Hi I'm on the same coast but further north, so do you make cakes or sell clothing?

cazza1 Posted 3 May 2015 , 10:42am
post #766 of 797

Yep Winniemog, too true.  After all we are about 10 years behind the time over here.  In the meantime I have worked out that if you stretch it over whatever and make it taut then a knife works wonders.

winniemog Posted 3 May 2015 , 10:51am
post #767 of 797

It's amazing that you might be 10 years behind when it comes to new and improved things - but when it comes to crappy ideas that don't work and you didn't want the marketing idiot to mess with a product that was just fine as it was - wow - you're right on pace with the rest of us!

cazza1 Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:13pm
post #768 of 797

Just as well we started this page ages ago as we can no longer look underneath the avatar to see what country a person comes from.  Not that everyone posted where they were from but I did like it when they did.    It also helped put advise into perspective because, let's face it, a lot of advise from overseas (such as crisco based buttercreams) is useless to us here in Aussieland. 

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:52pm
post #769 of 797

Hi Guys!

Other than fruit cake (which no-one seems to want these days) and chocolate mudcake (which is the cake I make most of the time), are there any other cakes that stay fresh for a while whilst decorating? I'm a hobby cake decorator and slower than the professionals.

I had to laugh over all the comments re Glad Wrap - thought I was the only one struggling with it. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 7 May 2015 , 12:38am
post #770 of 797

I find chiffon style sponge cakes last a week very well.  Banana cake is good too (I would think the other moist fruity cakes would stand the time too like hummingbird, coconut, carrot.  Pretty much oil based cakes.  Buttercakes are the worst for lengthy freshness.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 7 May 2015 , 1:00am
post #771 of 797

Thank you Magic Mouthfuls. That sounds promising. Would a chiffon cake be sufficiently dense to take fondant and decorations?

I once tried a white chocolate cake with frozen berries added and it came out heavy; I don't know whether I was heavy-handed in making it or whether the recipe wasn't the best. I have some flourless nut-based cakes, made with oil, that I make (one chocolate and prune and one a boiled orange cake); perhaps I could try icing and decorating those.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 7 May 2015 , 4:36am
post #772 of 797

Half my cake orders now are chiffon and yes they take the weight of fondant really well.  I did try 3 recipes before finding the best one tho.

That chocolate & prune sounds delicious.  My (boiled) orange and almond cake comes out way too wet to ever risk putting fondant on it.  Getting the oranges right is hard because they have differing water content throughout the year/seasons.

Bluehue Posted 11 May 2015 , 3:59pm
post #773 of 797

Haaa - just threw out about 7 meters of GW after fighting with it - and nearly wrapping my let arm in it haaaaaaaaaa.  

winniemog Posted 11 May 2015 , 8:47pm
post #774 of 797

Now THERE'S an idea - we should mummify the product development guy who came up with this "improvement" in rolls and rolls of the defective stuff - and then he couldn't strike again....

Come over to the dark side Bluehue - you won't look back. And I never thought I'd be unfaithful to GW, but they cheated on me first....

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 May 2015 , 10:17pm
post #775 of 797

oh no! I'm so confused... my daddy is a mummy!

Bluehue Posted 15 May 2015 , 11:59am
post #776 of 797

Quote by @winniemog on 3 days ago

Now THERE'S an idea - we should mummify the product development guy who came up with this "improvement" in rolls and rolls of the defective stuff - and then he couldn't strike again....

Come over to the dark side Bluehue - you won't look back. And I never thought I'd be unfaithful to GW, but they cheated on me first.... Entering the Dark side this weekend - insert spooky DA DUM - DA DUM music :)

Bluehue Posted 15 May 2015 , 12:00pm
post #777 of 797

Quote by @Magic Mouthfuls on 3 days ago

oh no! I'm so confused... my daddy is a mummy!

Your confused.... I'm :0 and lost - haaaaaaa

cazza1 Posted 16 May 2015 , 12:29am
post #778 of 797

I wrote to Glad Wrap and suggested that they fire the guy who came up with the top bar cutter  idea, that he was obviously trying to sabotage the company.  They wrote me back a very nice letter saying that due to overwhelming demand (whinging from customers), and their desire to keep their customers happy (stay in business), they were going back to the old style boxes, but to please be patient as it took time to introduce change in factories (expect to have all the crappy boxes transported to WA for the suckers there as we have more customers on the East Coast).  I notice their was no mention of a freebie.  Probably send them broke with all the complaints.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 16 May 2015 , 12:37am
post #779 of 797

Cazza1 that is such good news!!!  I've taken to cutting my wrap with scissors as I am totally unco at the best of times and the top bar cutter is driving me nuts!

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 16 May 2015 , 3:54am
post #780 of 797

Cazza1 - brilliant!  You should write for tv show 'The Checkout'..and get paid for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%