Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 9:59pm
post #421 of 797

Hi Ladies (and gent)

Another Aussie here from the Central Coast of NSW.  Recently qualified pastry chef (although not a youngie!!!!)lol

Work full time as a chef/pastry chef, looking to expand my knowledge and learn from the cake decorating gurus here!

Nice and chilly and raining here today, which I am enjoying, last day off before a very heavy 7 day work week ahead.

Have a lovely Sunday all :)

Kim

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 4:45am
post #422 of 797

AHi Danilou, if you have a local cake decorating shop thats probably the best place to find good liners, mine always have a bargain bin full of them and as the shop bakes wedding cakes and cup cakes then they will use the best and as someone stated before, they are usually helpful with any advice regarding size, hope that was helpful as I had asked the same question a little while ago. Happy baking!

nouha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nouha Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 2:11pm
post #423 of 797

AHi all, another aussie here from sydney. Nice to meet you all :) Just starting out this new hobby and hoping to learn something new.

cakelady247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady247 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 11:34pm
post #424 of 797

A

Original message sent by nouha

Hi all, another aussie here from sydney. Nice to meet you all :) Just starting out this new hobby and hoping to learn something new.

Welcom to cake central

nouha Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 8:37am
post #425 of 797

AThank you :)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 9:05am
post #426 of 797

Hi Nouha, you will certainly learn plenty of new things if you stick with cake decorating.  There are so many different directions that you can get side tracked into.

nouha Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 11:06am
post #427 of 797

AHi, I got a question to ask. I bought a 5Kg bag of red velvet cake mix from Southern Cross Supplies but no instructions on how to prepare it. Can anyone here help?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 12:19pm
post #428 of 797

If it is the Bakels mix -   http://aus.bakels.com/recipe/?show=page&id=4201

If another brand ??   Best to contact Southern Cross direct

nouha Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 1:38pm
post #429 of 797

AThanx for ur help :)

I dont understand why they dont put instructions on the bag, its like they'r trying to save labels.

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 7:16pm
post #430 of 797

AThanks Cher, good to know! I've also found out that Caroline's (in Adelaide) do this as well. They are about 15 minutes from my house to I just email them the image and pick it up in an hour or so. I live edible images!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 12:31pm
post #431 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danilou 

Hi, to the Aussies that bake cupcakes where do you get your cupcake liners from? I bought a new cupcake/muffin pan from William Sinoma (the goldtouch one) but I'm looking to buy some cupcake liners. I'm thinking 1/14 by 2 inch (muffin size) ones would be best. I don't want to buy them off e'bay to find out they're too thin and cheap. The good ones are charging $18 in freight. Which is ridiculous!! I tried Cakes around Town but they're pricey as well.

Hi Danilou

We buy our cupcake papers online from Bakers Cups Australia, very good quality papers and prompt service.

810whitechoc Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 12:33pm
post #432 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimdarella 

Hi Ladies (and gent)

Another Aussie here from the Central Coast of NSW.  Recently qualified pastry chef (although not a youngie!!!!)lol

Work full time as a chef/pastry chef, looking to expand my knowledge and learn from the cake decorating gurus here!

Nice and chilly and raining here today, which I am enjoying, last day off before a very heavy 7 day work week ahead.

Have a lovely Sunday all :)

Kim

Hi Kim, I'm also from the Central Coast, and yes it's still raining lol, real Noah's Arc weather around here lately.

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 10:41pm
post #433 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

Hi Kim, I'm also from the Central Coast, and yes it's still raining lol, real Noah's Arc weather around here lately.

Yay! Another Coastie! :D

LOL yeah it has been pretty wet, then super humid and hot, then bucketing again! Not great cake weather, but could be worse, really feel for our Queensland, NT, and Northern WA caking sisters trying to deal with the humidity!!!

Having a lovely relaxing day off today and enjoying the cool crisp air today.

Gails Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 6:29am
post #434 of 797

AJust read the advice for keeping fondant covered cake dry etc. in Perth weather, great advice.....thank you. My question also is......what is the best surface to gloss tiny delicate gumpaste letters on so they wont break when I'm ready to put them on the board?

Gails Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 6:51am
post #435 of 797

AI think I put my last post in the wrong place! I thanked you for the advice on keeping fondant covered cake well in Perth climate, I will keep the fan only going when theres a cake around! My question was, what is the best surface to gloss delicate gumpaste letters on to dry without them breaking or sticking to the surface when I want to place them on the final place? Oh! And also, whats your opinion on quilting, the stitching wheel or quilting tool?

810whitechoc Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 11:21am
post #436 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gails 

I think I put my last post in the wrong place! I thanked you for the advice on keeping fondant covered cake well in Perth climate, I will keep the fan only going when theres a cake around! My question was, what is the best surface to gloss delicate gumpaste letters on to dry without them breaking or sticking to the surface when I want to place them on the final place? Oh! And also, whats your opinion on quilting, the stitching wheel or quilting tool?

I put letters on silicone/baking paper, and I use a stitching tool.  I'm not sure what you are calling a stitching wheel or quilting tool, the one I use has the three wheels, a stitch, a smooth, and a wave.

derbyfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derbyfour Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 11:36am
post #437 of 797

If it is anything like the Bakels White Mud cake 15kg bag that I bought................look on the bag at the label.  You will probably find something that says something that might look like this:

xxxg mix, xxxg eggs, xxxg water/oil etc. 

Work out the % of each ingredient to the mix.

Look at your pan and work out how much cake mix that you will need and adjust the % accordingly to get a total mixture mass.

It might have basic instructions as to when to add each ingredient and how long to beat/mix cook (and at the temp) but other than that you will need trial and error.

I think that large bags like that are made for the catering industry with a lot of assumptions as to knowledge/recipies.

Here is a recipe for the Bakels premium red velvet mix that you could adjust to the size pan that you are using.

~500 grams of mix will make approximately 18 cupcakes or a 7 inch round cake (2 inches high)

~~500g Red Velvet Cake Mix

3 med eggs (approx 50g each) 

80 mls water

70mls Vegetable oil.

Instructions:

1. blend eggs, water, cake mix on low speed for 1 minute.

2. Scrape down.

3. Commence blending on second speed for 2 minutes whilst adding vegetable oil.

4.. Mix for a total of 2 minutes. Do not over mix.

Bake at 160 degrees (slightly lower for a fan forced).

Bake you cake for 35 minutes or cupcakes for approximately 20-25 minutes. ~~Ensure that the oven is not too high.

Cake just spring back when pushed on top - use the skewer test to make sure it has cooked through.

NB-if you are wanting a denser cake, more like a mud, use 2 eggs and 140mls water.

Does this help?

Gails Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 12:10pm
post #438 of 797

AThanks for the advice. I did the letters on the silicone mat as you suggested and all is good, they havent stuck. Yes, the tool I have has the 3 little wheels so I will use that. Thanks again.

cakelady247 Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:04am
post #439 of 797

Hi everyone, I have a question to ask. Does anyone know how many of Bakels White Mud cake batter or Bakels Chocolate Mud cake batter is needed for a 6 inch pan, 8 inch pan and a 10 inch pan (round, square...). Thanks.

ApplegumPam Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:15pm
post #440 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakelady247 

Hi everyone, I have a question to ask. Does anyone know how many of Bakels White Mud cake batter or Bakels Chocolate Mud cake batter is needed for a 6 inch pan, 8 inch pan and a 10 inch pan (round, square...). Thanks.

Quantities are on the bag - this is a commercial mix.  Once you have determined what tin a 1kg mix fills, it is basic maths to work out the rest - and if that seems a bit daunting use the fill the cake tin with water trick (fill your standard cake tin with water to the level your mix ould normally come to - pour it into a jug to measure how much it is - then use that 'amount' to pour into all the other size tins you need - some will takes 2x, some will take half, some will take 3x - then you know how many batches you require)

Make sure you write it all down  :)

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:22pm
post #441 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gails 

I think I put my last post in the wrong place! I thanked you for the advice on keeping fondant covered cake well in Perth climate, I will keep the fan only going when theres a cake around! My question was, what is the best surface to gloss delicate gumpaste letters on to dry without them breaking or sticking to the surface when I want to place them on the final place? Oh! And also, whats your opinion on quilting, the stitching wheel or quilting tool?

I do mine on the back of my bubble sponge , I find that they dry really well .

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:24pm
post #442 of 797

Welcome to all the new Aussie Posters . There certainly are getting to be quite a few of us in here . 

cakelady247 Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 4:37am
post #443 of 797

Thanks, thats a very smart trick with water:-)

derbyfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derbyfour Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:19pm
post #444 of 797

I bought a cloths drying rack.  It is essentially a fabric mesh stretched over a frame.  It works a charm as the air circulates all around the fondant.  I have not found anything sticking even with over gooey fondant.   

It can be disassembled and packed away when not in use.  PLUS you can wash the netting part it in the washing machine and sterilise the plastic frame. 

Was really cheap and came in a pack of 3- bonus, so I can use if for all manner of crafty endeavours.    It is big enough to dry a small adult T shirt (approx), so if you are room limited then you might want to buy something specifically designed for fondant drying----- or cut the  plastic frame tubes and fabric down to size if you are crafty enough.

sweetbakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbakess Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 10:54am
post #445 of 797

Hello!
Melbourne cakey here!

I've just started my own business this year! Only made my first ever decorated cake in Jan, and it quickly became a passion! Thank god for Cake Central forums, saving many cake dramas this year!

I have a question also, does anyone have a good place to buy cake boards (the thick, sturdy ones) in bulk??? They are sooooo expensive in my local cake supply shops! In bulk would be amazing.

Alisha

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 4:12am
post #446 of 797

Attention Sydney-ites:

I'm having difficulty finding Karo light corn syrup. Anyone know where to buy it? (Am I pushing my luck if I ask preferably in Bondi Junction?) I've been trying for two days. Want to have a go at making modelling chocolate with Wilton Candy Melts and I'm told that regular glucose does not work.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 4:30am
post #447 of 797

I'm in the US. Only jumping in to give you this link, in case this works for you.

http://cakecentral.com/t/744650/glucose-syrup-vs-corn-syrup-in-modelling-chocolate

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:36am
post #448 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

I'm in the US. Only jumping in to give you this link, in case this works for you.

http://cakecentral.com/t/744650/glucose-syrup-vs-corn-syrup-in-modelling-chocolate

Thank you so much Imagen; that link provides a number of alternatives to try. Meanwhile, I've just returned from a 70 minute round trip to my favourite cake decorating shop at Camperdown with two bottles of Karo light corn syrup. Had to buy two; it's like hen's teeth around here. Pretty expensive. I do hope it works OK; I've read mixed reports from people making modelling chocolate.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:45am
post #449 of 797

You'll do OK. I had to send Karo light corn syrup to my sister in South America, too. She only gets glucose there.

This person does a lot of work with modeling chocolate. 

Good luck!

ApplegumPam Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:14am
post #450 of 797

In Sydney also  :)

I use liquid glucose in modelling chocolate all the time - I warm it up so it is the same temp as the melted chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%