Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

baking-mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking-mama Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 4:56am
post #1 of 797

AEveryone seems to be from America. Is there any Aussies here? If so, message me so we can chat :)

i don't mean any offend to Americans, its just that our food laws, cake prices etc are different and would like to chat to them about it.

796 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:14am
post #2 of 797

Yes there are Aussies on this site.  Some of us have our country posted under our names and I am sure that there are others here who don't.  I am a hobby baker so I know nothing about our food laws or pricing.

mac14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mac14 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 9:02am
post #3 of 797

Hi there, im an Aussie from Sydney. I love this site :) its a hobby for me as well..

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 9:30am
post #4 of 797

Another Aussie , checking in. There are quite a few of us on here. Just ask a mudcake question and we all seem to pop up. icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Another Aussie , checking in. There are quite a few of us on here. Just ask a mudcake question and we all seem to pop up. icon_biggrin.gif

@ Chellescakes.......loll  thumbs_up.gif

Another from Western Australia.

Where are you situated baking-mama?

Bluehue

Kegs302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kegs302 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 797

AI'm in Sydney. Anyone know where I can buy good priced fondant from around here!

mac14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mac14 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:38am
post #7 of 797

Hi Kegs302, im also from Sydney, i go to a couple of shops for my fondant. Where abouts in Sydney are you ?  

baking-mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking-mama Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:46am
post #8 of 797

AI'm in mount gambier. Lonely little mount gambier haha!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:51am
post #9 of 797

I'm in Geraldton so that's even closer to the middle of nowhere than Mount Gambia.

AmandaZ2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaZ2013 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 6:30am
post #10 of 797

AI'm in Sydney too :) Just bake as a hobby though.

Kegs302 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 8:30am
post #11 of 797

AAussie fellow bakers can I ask your advice please. My fondant covered cakes are not doing well in the humidity at all and I the minute I put them in a box with the lid on they start to sweat. I'm tempted to put the one I have sitting on my kitchen counter right now in the fridge overnight. Any of you in Sydney succesfully able to store your fondant cakes in the fridge without ruining the final finish?

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:20am
post #12 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs302 

Aussie fellow bakers can I ask your advice please. My fondant covered cakes are not doing well in the humidity at all and I the minute I put them in a box with the lid on they start to sweat.
Kegs, don't put a lid on the box ...if it is a fondant covered cake - honestly, it doesn't need a lid.  You are blocking in the heat and humidity.... I'm tempted to put the one I have sitting on my kitchen counter right now in the fridge overnight. No, that could only add to the problem...just leave it on your bench....IF you have a portable fan, place that so as its NOT blowing on the cake but in the same room...that will keep the air circulating and dry any humidity that's forming on your cake.
I have ceiling fans...best things for moving the air and getting the dampness from the humidity moving...
I have a/c but even in our stinking hot summers here in Perth, I prefer the ceiling fans.  Any of you in Sydney succesfully able to store your fondant cakes in the fridge without ruining the final finish?  We have had 37C's this week in Perth with high humidity...and my fondant covered cakes with just the ceiling fans going have survived beautifully.... please, don't put them in the fridge....  you only have to deal with the condensation.  Bluehue
FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:42am
post #13 of 797

another hobby baker from Perth, WA girl here :)

Chellescakes lol thats so true

Kegs302 - I agree with Bluehue try the fan. Also some fondants are easier for me to use in our climate than others but that may just be me.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:45am
post #14 of 797

I live in Naracoorte, South Australia...It's a small world...lol

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:46am
post #15 of 797

Maybe we could start a forum for us Aussies?

Kegs302 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:38am
post #16 of 797

A

Original message sent by Bluehue

Thank you, I didn't put it in the fridge but I did put the lid on as I wanted to keep bugs off it. It was ok but one of the hands fell off one of my figures. How do you go a out stopping bugs from getting at your cakes leaving them sat out?

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:48am
post #17 of 797
Quote:

Thank you, I didn't put it in the fridge but I did put the lid on as I wanted to keep bugs off it. It was ok but one of the hands fell off one of my figures. How do you go a out stopping bugs from getting at your cakes leaving them sat out?

Buy yourself some of these...http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au/back-of-house/kitchen-miscellaneous/kitchen-other/nylon-food-cover.html

You can get them in Huge, Medium and small....

Kmart - Target - House - Red Dot - just to name a few places that sell them thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

amk84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amk84 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:12am
post #18 of 797

another aussie here,from around the newcastle area. Just started this as a new hobby

Kegs302 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 7:47am
post #19 of 797

A

Original message sent by Bluehue

Buy yourself some of these...[URL=http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au/back-of-house/kitchen-miscellaneous/kitchen-other/nylon-food-cover.html]http://www.hospitalitywholesale.com.au/back-of-house/kitchen-miscellaneous/kitchen-other/nylon-food-cover.html[/URL]

You can get them in Huge, Medium and small.... Kmart - Target - House - Red Dot - just to name a few places that sell them ;-D

Bluehue

Thanks fab idea!!!!!!

I need your help guys and girls!

HELP!!!! I am in panic mode. I can't follow my original idea for the wedding cake due tomorrow as I couldn't find the ribbon I needed and the only size ribbon they had in the craft store which I bought is a hideous red colour (the bride is wearing bright red so was going to tie the ribbon in with her outfit but its horrible!). Anyway I now have a cake, covered in white chocolate ganache and a bucket of white fondant. What can I do in the next 12 hours (it's due to be delivered at 11am tomorrow). To make this look like a bloody wedding cake? Any idea's?

It's my first ever wedding cake and its for a friend who gave me a blank canvas so no expectations from the wedding party, but I want to impress and I'm now officially scared!!!

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:18pm
post #20 of 797

Hello bakers,

I am probably the most inexperienced one of all. This is the first time i have ever used a forum. So i may be a little slow. Sorry!

I'm from Sydney Australia. I am a home baker also, and am happy to find fellow Australians to chat to.

I was reading your comments on fondant covered cakes.

I once thought it was a no, no to place a fondant covered cake in the fridge. But as someone who knew a lot more than

me explained.

Cakes covered with fondant my be placed in the fridge, as long as they are in a cake box. The cake must be completely

covered. (if i can't close the box due to the cake being to large or 3D. I place butchers paper in front of the open area).

On the day of delivery or pick-up. All that is required is to take the cake out of the fridge at least 3 hours prior.

It will sweat initially. But once the cake/fondant has reached room temp. The sweating will subside.

Since i was given this advise i have utilized it. To date it has worked a dream.

I  hope this may help in some way for you.

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 797
Quote:

Thanks fab idea!!!!!!

I need your help guys and girls!

HELP!!!!
I am in panic mode. I can't follow my original idea for the wedding cake due tomorrow as I couldn't find the ribbon I needed and the only size ribbon they had in the craft store which I bought is a hideous red colour (the bride is wearing bright red so was going to tie the ribbon in with her outfit but its horrible!). Anyway I now have a cake, covered in white chocolate ganache and a bucket of white fondant. What can I do in the next 12 hours (it's due to be delivered at 11am tomorrow). To make this look like a bloody wedding cake? Any idea's?

It's my first ever wedding cake and its for a friend who gave me a blank canvas so no expectations from the wedding party, but I want to impress and I'm now officially scared!!!

Oh good grief, I didn't get notification in time to respond...icon_confused.gif. sorry Kegs.  I am hoping that your creative side kicked in and that your cake is beautiful... What did you end up doing?  Being in the west I am now only 2 hours behind....if you need to chat - I am still on line for a few hours yet....

Bluehue

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:09pm
post #22 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Creations 

Hello bakers,

I am probably the most inexperienced one of all. This is the first time i have ever used a forum. So i may be a little slow. Sorry!

Welcome to CC - yes, there are plenty of us Australians on board to chat too

I'm from Sydney Australia. I am a home baker also, and am happy to find fellow Australians to chat to.

thumbs_up.gif

I was reading your comments on fondant covered cakes.

I once thought it was a no, no to place a fondant covered cake in the fridge. But as someone who knew a lot more than

me explained.

Cakes covered with fondant my be placed in the fridge, as long as they are in a cake box. The cake must be completely

covered. (if i can't close the box due to the cake being to large or 3D. I place butchers paper in front of the open area).

On the day of delivery or pick-up. All that is required is to take the cake out of the fridge at least 3 hours prior.

It will sweat initially. But once the cake/fondant has reached room temp. The sweating will subside.

Since i was given this advise i have utilized it. To date it has worked a dream.

Yes, many do but if it is a mud cake I have made and decorated I never put one in the fridge.... I will freeze a mud cake for a short time before filling and decorating - but I believe it alters the flavour and texture of a mud cake if put in a fridge...just my opinion....

Look forward to seeing you around on the forum icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

I  hope this may help in some way for you.

Kegs302 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:01pm
post #23 of 797

AThanks so much! 1am and just finished! Oh the pressure I put myself under tonight! So wanted to get my first ever wedding cake right! If I can figure out how to post a photo I will! Thank god my 6 month old daughter behaved herself tonight!

Kegs302 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:07pm
post #25 of 797

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2975032/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I scraped these rubbish rushed roses off after I decided I could do better and did a ruffle flower instead

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:12pm
post #26 of 797

Ughhhh - a long night for you...glad you are done...

If you have a blog or something like that - you can always post a pic there and just copy and pate a link for us to click on...

I have no idea how to post a pic now - haven't done it for ages...

Someone will come on and tell us how loll

SLAP FOREHEAD icon_rolleyes.gif I just realised....

When typing a post look at the bar above and see all the Source, Normal Size etc. etc... move along the bar to where there is a little picture - run your mouse over that and it will say Insert Image.... click on that and your away thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:15pm
post #27 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue 

Ughhhh - a long night for you...glad you are done...

If you have a blog or something like that - you can always post a pic there and just copy and pate a link for us to click on...

I have no idea how to post a pic now - haven't done it for ages...

Someone will come on and tell us how loll

SLAP FOREHEAD icon_rolleyes.gif I just realised....

When typing a post look at the bar above and see all the Source, Normal Size etc. etc... move along the bar to where there is a little picture - run your mouse over that and it will say Insert Image.... click on that and your away thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

SCRATCH THE ABOVE - I SEE YOU FOUND IT LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Well done - you got it done... and good thinking of doing the ruffles in different shades...

Your friend will be thrilled...

Bluehue

AmandaZ2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaZ2013 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:17am
post #28 of 797

AThat looks great!

wendymc2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendymc2001 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:06am
post #29 of 797

Hi another Aussie here from Shellharbour area. I too am just doing this as a hobby at the moment.

Cheers

Wendy

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:14am
post #30 of 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymc2001 

Hi another Aussie here from Shellharbour area. I too am just doing this as a hobby at the moment.

Cheers

Wendy

Welcome Wendy - hope to see you around the board.

Shellharbour area..... that's a lovely slice of Australia icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%