catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome! This is a place where, once a week, we gather to talk about our week. What are you working on? What do you need help with? What questions can you answer for someone else here? And, my favorite part, do you have any photos to share???

 

Cat

46 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:40am
post #2 of

This is a cupcake week. I have a dozen due for a small birthday party on Sunday afternoon. Right now I'm getting ready for two trips and two birthdays. First my grandson turns 2 so I have his cake next weekend. Then my nephew is getting married in two weeks in Texas and we are working the event set up and I'm doing the photography. I get back and have my son's 12th birthday and then a few days later I leave, with my mom, to Sicily for two weeks! I bring all of this up because I'm not terribly sure if I can run the FNCC from Italy yet. I'm gone the 3rd and 10th of May so if anyone wants to take over for me I'd be SO appreciative! 

 

Hoping to see photos tonight!

 

Cat

Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:45am
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

This is a cupcake week. I have a dozen due for a small birthday party on Sunday afternoon. Right now I'm getting ready for two trips and two birthdays. First my grandson turns 2 so I have his cake next weekend. Then my nephew is getting married in two weeks in Texas and we are working the event set up and I'm doing the photography. I get back and have my son's 12th birthday and then a few days later I leave, with my mom, to Sicily for two weeks! I bring all of this up because I'm not terribly sure if I can run the FNCC from Italy yet. I'm gone the 3rd and 10th of May so if anyone wants to take over for me I'd be SO appreciative! 

 

Hoping to see photos tonight!

 

Cat

 

 

Ok Im exhausted just READING about your week!  Sounds like alot of fun memories with a dash of crazy thrown in there! 

 

I did a fun cake for a reporter friend of mine this week.  Made a Steno pad with a cup of steaming coffee and a pencil.  It was fun but I kept looking at it thinking it was missing something--still cant put my finger on it! 

 

I am starting this week working on gumpaste figures for a Pokemon cake I have due the 20th!

 

All in all a slow week for me compared to you!!!! 

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:57am
post #4 of

I didn't even list the professional caking duties...those are just family obligations and trips! LOL!  I have a birthday cake the middle weekend and a birthday cake the 29th for a 5 year old cancer patient and 80 wedding favors as well. Add in baseball, karate and scouts for the 12 year old and you get the point. Yes, my life is nuts for the next month! LOL! BUT I'm not complaining. I get to watch my nephew get married and get to create a gorgeous reception for them and I get to immerse myself into my photography for two whole weeks in Sicily so it's really an embarrassment of riches so absolutely NO complaining for how crazy it's going to be!

 

I love the stenographer cake idea! How fun! Can't wait to see the photos!

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 2:58am
post #5 of

ANo cake for me this week, trying to lay off the calories after easter!

Sicily is beautiful, and you're smart to go earlier in the summer, I went in August and it was unbearable! Make sure have a pizza alla Norma though if you go to Catania. And try to visit Aci Castello at night.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:04am
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

I didn't even list the professional caking duties...those are just family obligations and trips! LOL!  I have a birthday cake the middle weekend and a birthday cake the 29th for a 5 year old cancer patient and 80 wedding favors as well. Add in baseball, karate and scouts for the 12 year old and you get the point. Yes, my life is nuts for the next month! LOL! BUT I'm not complaining. I get to watch my nephew get married and get to create a gorgeous reception for them and I get to immerse myself into my photography for two whole weeks in Sicily so it's really an embarrassment of riches so absolutely NO complaining for how crazy it's going to be!

 

I love the stenographer cake idea! How fun! Can't wait to see the photos!

 

Strawberry Swirl cake with Chocolate Ganache filling, covered in vanilla Buttercream and topped with an edible image for the lines.  Pencil made with Fondant/Tylose mix and Luster dust. Spiral Bound made using wire.  Coffee cup made with fondant/tylose mix topped with Chocolate ganache and white chocolate swirls.

 

Wire binding

 

700

 

Cat,

 

Here's the finished product---if anyone has any ideas what it could use i'm all ears!  It just seems like its missing----something---LOL

 

Cant wait to hear about your trip!!!  =-)

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:08am
post #7 of

AMaybe putting it on a board with newsprint on it would do it? Now sure how you'd do that, maybe do a custom one with funny stories about the birthday boy...

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:12am
post #8 of

Wow, thank you for the Sicily tips!! I will add that to my research notes!  We always try to visit Italy/Europe in April or May. We like to miss the crowds and the heat!

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:14am
post #9 of

I agree that the base of the cake is what seems plain but I don't have any ideas how to liven it up. The rest of it is AMAZING! I love how you made it really look like paper! I like the idea of newspaper...maybe a rolled up newspaper and a donut if you have time? I think your detailing is simply wonderful!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:15am
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Maybe putting it on a board with newsprint on it would do it? Now sure how you'd do that, maybe do a custom one with funny stories about the birthday boy...

WOW! That is a awesome idea! It looked kinda plain--that would def add some pizazz! =-)

tdovewings Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:16am

The steno cake is awesome!

 

Well a few weeks ago I was practicing with edible sugar paper. Tomorrow is show-time, the national capital area cake show starts tomorrow and I'm up working on my "competition" entry. Everyone was given the same icing images to work with, and although mine will be no masterpiece, I'm glad I just have something to enter. Nearly half of the product I was given was thrown in the trash.  I used an exacto knife, craft scissors, and a paper punch I had on hand. This is definitely a huge learning experience. I've never covered a dummy in fondant before and silly me tried to save money and used a 50% off coupon, brought 5 lbs of wilton fondant and tried to cover my dummy cakes. All I ended up with was sore arms and hands from the 50 attempts I made at kneading, rolling, and trying to cover the dummy, out of $40.00 more  as I had to acquire more fondant (Satin Ice) in a hurry, and much lost time. It set me back 2 days. I also learned that you have to sand down the edges of the styro to get it to work as well. I was supposed to enter two cakes, but I'll just be doing the one.  Next year I'll plan better. I'll post pictures of the completed project in the morning!

 

Have a wonderful trip Cat!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:19am
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

I agree that the base of the cake is what seems plain but I don't have any ideas how to liven it up. The rest of it is AMAZING! I love how you made it really look like paper! I like the idea of newspaper...maybe a rolled up newspaper and a donut if you have time? I think your detailing is simply wonderful!


Thanks Cat!  The Pencil took forever and I ended up using luster dust on the entire thing to make it look more "real" the Wire is the only thing not edible (note:the wiring is covered then placed in the cake icon_biggrin.gif)  The Coffee cup is filled with Chocolate Ganache!  yum! I would never have thought of a donut! Awesome!  This is why I LOVE CC!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:23am
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

The steno cake is awesome!

 

Well a few weeks ago I was practicing with edible sugar paper. Tomorrow is show-time, the national capital area cake show starts tomorrow and I'm up working on my "competition" entry. Everyone was given the same icing images to work with, and although mine will be no masterpiece, I'm glad I just have something to enter. Nearly half of the product I was given was thrown in the trash.  I used an exacto knife, craft scissors, and a paper punch I had on hand. This is definitely a huge learning experience. I've never covered a dummy in fondant before and silly me tried to save money and used a 50% off coupon, brought 5 lbs of wilton fondant and tried to cover my dummy cakes. All I ended up with was sore arms and hands from the 50 attempts I made at kneading, rolling, and trying to cover the dummy, out of $40.00 more  as I had to acquire more fondant (Satin Ice) in a hurry, and much lost time. It set me back 2 days. I also learned that you have to sand down the edges of the styro to get it to work as well. I was supposed to enter two cakes, but I'll just be doing the one.  Next year I'll plan better. I'll post pictures of the completed project in the morning!

 

Have a wonderful trip Cat!

Excited to see you cake!!!  Sounds like it was one big adventure!  I agree that I am not fond of Wilton Fondant at all!  I used it when I first started out and I was not impressed. Pretty sure I developed Carpal Tunnel!!  HAHA  I now order a 20 pound bucket of Satin Ice from a website for less that $60.00 (including shipping) and it lasts me for a while! 

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:49am

I haven't used Wilton fondant in years because of how stiff it is and how it tastes. For white, or light colored fondant, I make my own marshmallow fondant. For darker colors like black or red I use Duff's fondant and always use the Michaels 40% off coupons!  I've used the sugar paper and have to admit I'm not really a fan. I've never sanded down my dummies. I just use crisco so that the fondant will adhere. Sounds like you went through a whole lotta money and work...I do hope the cake is as lovely as you were dreaming. I can totally understand how two went down to one! I've SOOOO had those weeks! In fact, each week I face that same thing...I say a little prayer that the cake I have planned with go together easily and not be a big issue! LOL! Unfortunately the prayer isn't always answered with a "sure!" 

auntginn Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:28am

Good Evening All, Lite weekend for me.  Easter was fun, don't know if I can post the pic tho because the basket is actually bread not cake.  It has a white chocolate Easter Bunny, large easter eggs that are cake covered in white chocolate and decorated with sanding sugar, fondant bows and a few gumpaste flowers.  Yes I still have it cause now I don't know what to do with it.

 

This week, I'm making macarons and a new chocolate cake recipe I've found.  Its a deep rich chocolate cake with peanut buttter icing and filling, then coated with chocolate glaze runs over the top.  If it turns out well going to make it again for my friends birthday in a couple of weeks.  After this week I will be crazy busy again for a while. Birthdays, weddings and mother's day.

biscuiteater Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:34am

We guess it's Friday for 13 more minutes....still up working on 2 baby shower cakes and a 21st birthday party cake.....whew.....It's been a long week!  Here are some shots of the birthday cake for a 4 wheelin', Coors Light lover...gotta love the personalized cakes!!!!  One keeps showing upside down????

 

 

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:36am

Hmmm....I'm not sure that the "only cake" thing applies to this discussion? I thought it was just in the galleries? I could very well be wrong. And the eggs in the basket are cake so???? 

 

I'm jealous about your peanut butter icing! I wish I could have that hear but my son has an issue with peanut butter. Your cake sounds amazing!!!

 

This mother's day I'll be on a plane home from vacation so the only cake I'll get is whatever dessert we share over dinner after we get off the plane in San Francisco! Normally I make a dessert of some sort that is cake based. What are you making?

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:37am

The ATV guy is showing upside down...wonder why? But I bet it was a hit!

auntginn Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:54am

Mother's day I always have lots of chocolate and cookie orders.  My mothers and my birthday are in between that day so the family hasn't decided when we are celebrating.  Here is the basket.

 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152231496795616&set=pb.682780615.-2207520000.1365224188&type=3&theater

LKing12 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:20am

I had a Bride's and Groom's cake.  Just walked in from being out there-they are finished and ready for delivery first thing in the morning.  The kitchen is a wreck, but it is suppose to be nice tomorrow and I will open the windows and scrub the floors when I am finished with the dishes.  Next week is a challenge.

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:43am

ASounds like a long day! Hope to see photos after the wedding!

mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:20am

I just finished a little cake for one of my best friends. It is her in-law's 40th Anniversary. So she wanted a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. I HATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING!!!!!!!! And I am not a big fan of red velvet cake either. So needless to say, I am not thrilled with it, but I guess it will do. I warned her I that I HATE piping cream cheese frosting, and that it is not my strong point. Not to mention I had a super hard workout, making my arms jello, so those ruffles were not so fun!

mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:24am

 

 

 

Here is a picture

catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:25am

AWow someone else who doesn't like red velvet and cream cheese icing! We are rare. It tastes too much like chemicals to me. However it's my oldest daughters favourite. Ugh. Hopefully they love it!

mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 6:36am

Nope, not a fan at all. The taste is weird, and the texture is horrible. It is both of my daughter's favorite, and I don't understand. WHY???? I have tweeked the recipe so many times and just can't get it to something I am proud of. Oh well, everyone else likes it, so I guess that is all that matters. Maybe this southern girl just doesn't understand.

cazza1 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 10:13am

Everyone's cakes are wonderful, though, Auntginn your page will not appear when I press the link.  I am exhausted just reading about all the cakes you people are up to this week. 

Hope you all had a great Easter break (that's if you actually get one in your countries).  We get 4 days break in Australia and hubby never works Thursdays so we packed up and went bush for 5 days.  It was absolutely wonderful.  So lazy.  Did nothing but read and eat for the five days while sitting under big gum trees, next to a babbling stream.  What more could you ask for.

I have cut out and cooked some round and some sheep shaped biscuits today.  I am going to try the sheep bickies tutorial that has been appearing on my CC front page and then I am going to try some other sheep ones on my round biscuits.  If they work I will post some pictures.  I am a bit hit and miss with how my biscuits turn out.

kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 1:21pm

That red velvet cake is lovely! I haven't attempted the ruffles yet. I keep meaning to...

 

Cat you should also try the pistachio granita, I had it every day. Oh I'm so jealous, it's been 13 years and I can still taste it all in my head.

Ducky316 Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 3:44pm

Here are my friday night projects! Two cakes and two dozen cupcakes for sisters sharing the same birthday. I tried to make them cohesive. 

 

 

This little 3 year old girl shares her birthday with batman girl! Totally different design, but I tried to keep them cohesive.

 

 

 

A 4 year old who loves Batman...Yup! That was the order! I was really worried about trying to come up and a achieve a girly Batman look, but I think I did :)

auntginn Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 4:36pm
cazza1   So Sorry, I have a new computer and haven't been able to figure it out.  I'm hoping this will help.
 
 file://localhost/Users/JGib/Downloads/0404131252b.jpg
 
Ducky, those are so.. cute.  Those little girls are going to be so happy.
biscuiteater Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:00pm

ADucky316....love your cakes!! Great job!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%