How Do I...money Cake With Edible Dollar Bills?

Decorating By classie787 Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 7:12pm by -K8memphis

classie787 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classie787 Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so recently I asked for some help with a beaver cake (as my co-worker is as busy as one) but it didn't net much in the way of replies.  Not a commonly done cake!

So I have scrapped that idea and am now asking for help in making a cake with stacks on dollar bills.  I recently ordered several (9 I believe) edible $100 dollar bills from Tasty FotoArt.  Searching "money cake" on this site, I have seen several examples of what I am trying to do.

If anyone has done such a cake, I would love to hear how you did it!

I am thus far guessing I will bake two 9x13" cakes which will be cut into the size of the edible art (whenever that arrives).  Not sure if it is exactly life-size or not.  Anyways, I have difficulty with fondant, so I was hoping to ice the cut cake with buttercream as smoothly as possible.  I was considering maybe freezing a bit to stiffen the buttercream.  I am not sure how to put the "lines" in the sides of the cake to represent individual bills...but I think there are tools for that.  Then perhaps I could "paint" those lines with a bit of food coloring or perhaps with an edible ink marker.  Still unsure of how to tint the buttercream to most closely approximate a dollar bill...any thoughts?

I have considered making fondant "wraps" as you would use to hold a stack of bills together.  We'll see...again not too good with fondant here.  Maybe a thin piece to approximate a rubber band?

Any tips are appreciated!  It is an important cake and I want to do well!

Thanks in advance for any thougths, pictures, links to videos, etc!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 6

sorry about the other cake not getting replies

as far as coloring the icing 'money green'--i'd use an army green plus some black icing

as far as the lines...hmm...i think i'd just use the bench scraper or a wide spatula and just make dents in the crusted buttercream as close as possible--but typically you can't really denote them in a real stack of money can you? i guess i don't have too many stacks laying around here... ;)

if you use a rubber band--make the money flare up on the ends from the rubber band--tighter in the middle and looser on the ends--shorter in the middle and gradually taller on both ends

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

I did a money cake recently and for the paper, I used a very pale yellow with the tiniest touch of black, ever. The actual print is black, and then there is a really nice bright green for just the seal. I used leaf green. If you do the back of the money, the print is forest green with a dab of yellow.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 6

ASometimes, you have to be patient...especially the later in the week. I'm a forum addict ( see <----- says so over there) but am just now seeing your post. I have lots of finishin touches to cakes so its been about 2 hours since I visited this site. /done with lecture

I really liked the busy bee idea! You could so a bee hive using the Wilton Baebie pan & make little bees. On the top I would make a queen bee with tools scattered around her. That wouldn't be too complicated but would be very impressive.

I don't get the stack of money? To pay for her hard work?

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

ANot the same currency, but I did a cake representing two stacks of banknotes for my eldest son's birthday a couple of years ago: [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2970717/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I baked the cakes in 2 lb loaf tins, carved a 'v' shape towards the centre to look like the 'rubber band' was holding the notes tightly around the middle and covered with sugarpaste (fondant) which I marked with a veining tool around the sides and painted with silver lustre diluted with isopropyl alcohol.

I made moulds of actual coins to create sugar ones (seen scattered on the board).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannem5 

Not the same currency, but I did a cake representing two stacks of banknotes for my eldest son's birthday a couple of years ago:

I baked the cakes in 2 lb loaf tins, carved a 'v' shape towards the centre to look like the 'rubber band' was holding the notes tightly around the middle and covered with sugarpaste (fondant) which I marked with a veining tool around the sides and painted with silver lustre diluted with isopropyl alcohol.

I made moulds of actual coins to create sugar ones (seen scattered on the board).

this looks real

awesome work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%