New Baker

Business By Sweet Natalie Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 5:14pm by DeliciousDesserts

Sweet Natalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Natalie Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 3

I have always loved baking and enjoying to decorate cakes and recently I have take it more seriously. I have never gone to any classes and struggle with certain things.  I do watch tutorials and youtube to learn techniques.

Currently I sell mini cupcakes for 50 cents, regular for $1.25, and my cake pops for $1.

What I am struggling with pricing is on cakes. How much to charge-- depending on size and detail.

Another problem I pose is my customers rave about my cupcakes since they are not in big size but my cakes have a good flavor and constistency but, sometimes do not come out moist enough. What can I do to change that?

One gray area that I have as well is bakign supplies. Are their websites that I can buy in bulk for a great price?

I would really appreciate tips and ideas from anyone on any part of the business.

I have tried posting pictures but have not been successful.

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 3

AThe first step to getting an accurate prices is determining your cost, including ingredients, labor (number of hours required for a product * your hourly wage), and overhead (license fees, insurance, etc.) on a per-order basis. Your prices are pretty low so I would be surprised if you paid yourself more than minimum wage, if that. The next step is to research market values in your area for the products you sell and add an appropriate markup for profit.

Restaurant supply stores are great for buying in bulk, Restaurant Depot has a Miami location.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 3

AI so agree!

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Your prices are pretty low so I would be surprised if you paid yourself more than minimum wage, if that. .

I also agree you'll need a bit of research to appropriately price your cakes. Find out what bakeries in your area charge. You'll also need to know your cost. It can be a real eye opener!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%