RHULL Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 1:57pm
post #1 of

I need to make a graduation cake for my daughter.  I tried to tell her that what she wanted in this graduation cake was way beyond her momma's ability, but I could have it made for her.  Her response "that's why I am giving you 2 years notice, so YOU can practice!!!"  OH MY!!!!  Well, a year of that time has passed, and I have not practiced once...I've had plenty of nightmares about it, but haven't taken that big step to actually try it.  I really want to surprise her with this cake but this will be the first time I have covered a dummy cake with fondant, or any other cake as far as that goes, and could use some help, please.  Here are my questions: 

1)  The cake will be 2 tiers - 6" and 10" and will be dummy cakes. The dummies will be covered in white fondant.  I am decorating it with a black fondant ribbon at the base of the tiers and using red icing to pipe lines.  How many days in advance can I make the dummy cake?  If I cover and decorate the dummies Tuesday, will it still be ok on Sunday?  If so, how do I store it until time to display it? 

2)  What type of icing would be best to use for the red lines.  They will be very fine lines.  I don't want them to bleed on the white fondant!  Sometimes when I decorate cookies, over a couple days time the red begins to bleed.  Will that happen on the fondant?

3)  How long should I let the fondant set on the dummies before I apply the decorations?

4)  What is the best method to apply the black fondant ribbon to the fondant to avoid any bleeding onto the white fondant?

5)  I read a couple of comments on the forum about dummy cakes "sagging" at the bottom after 2 or 3 days.  How do I avoid this? 

6) Of course, I'm open to any other advice you might have.  This is really stressing me out. 

I'm so sorry for asking so many questions, but I really want this cake to be special. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
DancingCakes2008 Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 2:14pm
post #2 of

Hello RHULL, 

If you are doing an all dummy cake you can start several weeks in advance. I will be doing a cake for our fair and will be doing the same thing. You can also do your stripes and decorations at the same time or you can let it harden a bit before hand. Where you are so nervous just take your time and work on it when you are comfortable with the time you have.

I have never had a problem with things sagging on a dummy cake and I would use royal icing as a base for your fondant and for your icing stripes. Your black fondant should not bleed if you don't get it to moist when applying it. I would roll out the black to the thickness you want, cut your ribbon, gently roll it up. using a small paint brush moisten a line where you want to attach the ribbon (use alcohol as this will dry faster than water but water will work, just not to much.)

Hope this helps.

RHULL Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 2:59am
post #3 of

Thank you for the advice.  I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.

leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 3:16am
post #4 of

AYou can make a dummy cakes months in advance. Ive been out of the wedding cake biz for 2 years and still have some of my dummy cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%