I am experiencing the weirdest issue with my cakes lately. I use Kakeladi's WASC recipe. Sometimes I use Betty Crocker and sometimes I use Duncan Hines, whichever is on sale. Between last weekend and this week, I have made six cakes, four of them sunk and one wouldnt cook through. Here are more details:
- Wilton giant cupcake using Betty Crocker vanilla - wouldnt cook in the middle. Re-made using Duncan Hines and it turned out pefect.
- 8 inch round using Betty Crocker chocolate - Sunk in the middle....a small but deep hole. This was a cake for a family dinner so no biggie!
- 10 inch round using Betty Crocker chocolate - sunk in the middle again!
- 6 inch round using Betty Crocker chocolate - sunk, again!
- Wilton Wonder Mold for Barbie using Betty Crocker chocolate - didnt sink but took much longer to cook than it usually does and by the time it was done in the middle the edges were crispy!
I have checked the expiry date on ALL of the boxes and none of them were expired. Nothing else has changed in the environment either....it's still rainy here like it always is...lol! And I'm using the same oven, cake pans, mixer etc.
Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this lately? I'm beginning to wonder if Betty Crocker has changed their mix.
Thanks in advance in helping me solve my sinking problem!
AThe formula was re-jigged when they reduced their box size -
Yes, I had read that the boxed mixes are now smaller but I have never had a problem with the WASC recipe as is until now and I believe the boxed mixes were changed some time ago.
I sometimes have the same problem, depending on which box mixes I use. We don't get Betty Crocker here so I can't comment on that, but I do agree that the different brands react differently to the recipe and surely different sizes make a big difference.
Here in SA we get Pilsbury (which I use if I can get it) or Moirs. Problem is that the Pilsbury box is 700g and the Moirs is 400 g I think, but definitely not more than 450g.
Surely this makes a big difference right?
I'd love to know if anyone knows the exact size of the box mix to be used for the recipe?
This weekend I used the Pilsbury 700 g box and it came out perfect.