Wet Mixture Victoria Sponge.

Baking By Pritter_glincess Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 11:15pm by annaecakes

Pritter_glincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pritter_glincess Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, 

i am fairly new to baking and usually make basic Victoria sponges to decorate. But when I make them the mixture is quite thick and never really levels in the tin and I always end up with really wonky cake that I loose half of when I cut the top off. 

I recently made a chocolate sponge that used 350ml of milk in it and therefore was more of a pouring consistency. Because of this they levelled and ended perfectly even when baked. 

Is there a recipe or adaptions hat I can use to make my Victoria sponge batters more runny? If i add milk will I ruin it?

Thanks,

laura   

1 reply
annaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annaecakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 2

I definitely wouldn't add milk to your current recipe - it would throw the proportions off.  Sponge is generally a thicker batter, so if you want something runnier, I would look at different recipes.

If you find your batter doesn't level itself in the pan, use an offset spatula to spread it around and create a level top.  It may bake off with a bit of a dome, but you shouldn't lose too much cake when you level it out.  I might also try playing with your oven temperature a bit or use even bake strips for a better outcome. 

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%